Thread: Joining Particle Board End-to-End

Joining Particle Board End-to-End

I have a couple of ikea shelves that I was going to get rid of, then realized they’ll be perfect for a keyboard stand I’m adding to my desk (creating a standing desk) if I can join them together (12x30 shelves to create a 24x30).

Any thoughts on a good way to do this?

I figured gluing like typical table top panels wouldn’t work well because particle board end grain just sucks the glue up.

For this I’ve got nothing against metal fasteners, but pocket screws would likely just rip out of the end grain. And I don’t know what other fastener options there are for this.

If it were me I would run dowels down that one edge, with glue, and solid wood ribs of some sort underneath running perpendicular to the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Starksen View Post
    I have a couple of ikea shelves that I was going to get rid of, then realized they’ll be perfect for a keyboard stand I’m adding to my desk (creating a standing desk) if I can join them together (12x30 shelves to create a 24x30).

Any thoughts on a good way to do this?

I figured gluing like typical table top panels wouldn’t work well because particle board end grain just sucks the glue up.

For this I’ve got nothing against metal fasteners, but pocket screws would likely just rip out of the end grain. And I don’t know what other fastener options there are for this.

I would run a spline 1/3 the thickness of the shelf along the length of the shelf and then as Greg said run battens across the seam.

I wonder if a lap joint would be strong enough, or if it just means 1/2 the thickness for structure (which may be enough). Rabbet them with a router or tablesaw.

This is the sort of thing biscuits were developed for. If you don't have a biscuit joiner a slot cutter and spline would serve the same function. Then a couple hardwood ribs across the joint to stiffen the panel. Particle board will suck up glue, I've done two applications. One fairly generous application, wait a minute or two for it to be absorbed then a second application.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 03-01-2019 at 5:50 AM.

Splines, dowels, biscuits, etc. are all a useful way to edge join the two pieces into a panel for your project. However you cut for them, be sure to index off the same surface for both pieces (top or bottom) so everything lines up properly. These helpers are necessary for something like particle board because while the glue is strong, the material is a little crumbly and a joint without the reinforcements will come apart a lot easier than solid wood would.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Use this: https://rooglue.com/wp-content/uploa...mall-white.jpg

I used it (TiteBond also makes a melamine glue) on several cabinets I built for my employer 25+ years ago, and they are still solid as a rock. No biscuits or dowels are needed; just spread a liberal coat on the pieces and clamp. Clean squeezeout with a rag soaked in water or denatured alcohol, as I recall, before the glue dries.