Thread: Help with JET planer purchase

Help with JET planer purchase

Hello folks,
    So I'm in the market for planer and found what appears to be a fairly nice, used, JET 16" 3 HP planer in the local area. The owner has said I needs new blades and has been used sparingly in the past 8 yrs. He is the second owner and isn't sure hold the machine is. He's asking $900 OBO. Would anyone have any guidance on this purchase?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pricing is depends for the market in your area. So peruse CL for similar products and what they are selling for, over time. (or use searchtempest to find them and what asking price)

I owned a closed stand version of that planer for many years and it performed excellent. I sold it for 800 or 900, including two sets of spare blades. I would consider the one I sold to be worth more than this one. Doesnt mean it is though... again depends on your local market. I believe there are grizzly or reliant knockoffs of that machine out there, which would sell for about 400-500 range. But again I dont know your local market.

$400-$500. That machine is 13-15 years old based on motor nameplate data.
    I have the 15" closed stand, Gold Series, version of the Jet Planers. They sell for $500.00 on Craigslist. That one should be less.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I bought an open stand no-name 4 post 15" planer clone on Craigslist three years ago, it was about 30 years old. I paid $400 and that was the best deal I found after a few months of looking. I drove two hours to get it and it's done fine for me, I don't use it all the time but when I do it works fine. Based on my experience I would say you're maybe a little high since it needs new knives, but not out of the range of reason, but every area of the country is different.
    Zach

My first thought was it is too high for an old style motor on top and roller infeed and outfeed table. I don't put a premium on the Jet name. I went to the Grizzly site and was surprised how much planers have gone up. It may be a reasonable price but I wouldn't buy it for that price because I don't care for the 2 features that I mentioned. At <$500 go for it. Even at $700 I would have to think about it.

I have a Delta DC 380,exactly like that one. Works real good. If I ever buy another planer I will get one where the motor is not on top,simply to make knife changes easier.

Offer a little less and put a Byrd head on it. I'm not necessarily a Byrd fan but that type of planer does much better with a Byrd due to it's design. Dave

That’s not bad deal. The major advantage of that and the DC380 is the table height is fixed. So if you want to add outfeed supports they don’t have to be adjusted each cut.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but am curious. Dave why do you say a byrd head works better because of this planers design ?

Some small planers have either a mediocre chipbreaker or none at all. The pressure bar isn't always the best design either. A spiral head seems to not rely on either as much as a straight knife head. My assumption ( not verified ) is that the spiral head doesn't want to lift the board as much as straight knives do so the PB isn't as critical and the chips on a spiral are so different they don't seem to need the chipbreaker. This based on my experience with a Delta DC 33. A large planer with a 5" head and better CB and PB see less improvement IMO. Dave

Thanks,Dave.

Pricing depends a lot on area. There isn't much used machinery on the market here, and $900 wouldn't be on out of the question. Right now on our local craig's list there aren't any 15" -16" planers, everything is either portables or industrial monsters. No jointers bigger than 6" either. 8" jointers sell at a premium due to scarcity.

Thanks for all the help folks...excellent words of wisdom!!!!

OK Vince,so the deal is we really want to know what your decision is/was. Did you buy it ?