Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Client Project: CNC Modeling - Architectural Elements

Client Project: CNC Modeling - Architectural Elements

I just completed one of the most mentally stimulating woodworking projects I have ever done or imagined I would do creating some custom modeled appliqués for a client. This was a new construction project, but the resultant home could have been built a couple hundred years ago, at least in style...it's much larger than all but the biggest estates from Revolutionary times. To the back of the home, there's an impressive Magnolia tree that is a "property feature". That presented the theme that the client had me work forward from for the requested appliqués that embellish a fireplace as well as the corner blocks in the ceiling and around the windows and doors for this particular room. And what a room it is...a library/office/study completely clad in black walnut that was milled on the property by Hearne and then used for all the interior doors as well as the space in question. The client accordingly provided the material I used for my contribution to the project. As I noted in my original thread in GW&PT a few weeks ago, my cousin (my actual cousin's son) did the doors for this project and he made the referral for me to do this artistic work. He did an amazing job on the doors and I'll show a few photos of those after I 'splain my own work.

For starters...this is the outside of the home which is getting final inspections in preparation for them moving in next week.

IMG_3821.jpg

And this is the magnolia tree just outside the room I was contributing to...

DSC_8754.jpg

The appliqués for the ceiling and windows were cut using slightly modified stock art that Vectric provides with their Aspire software...no surprise, it's a magnolia bloom. Nothing hugely special here, but they really turned out beautifully in the walnut material and I did the client a favor by putting his finish on them while I was babysitting the machine cutting other things. The client wanted to install these himself, so here are two photos that at least show how the ceiling and door/window appliqués will look once he does that.

DSC_8756.jpg DSC_8757.jpg

The fireplace appliqués were a whole 'nuther story relative to complexity and creativity...and a really "great" way to jump right into the fire with Aspire and modeling. It was both a very intense learning experience and a total pleasure to produce. I don't mind for one moment that I spent considerably more time on this part of the project than I originally anticipated. Based on the various sketches that the clients (husband and wife team...and she's "the boss" ), we came up with the form they wanted to visually enhance the two sides of the fireplace and carry through the magnolia imagery.

Using Aspire, I created three "base" components to create the fireplace appliqués; the stem/trunk, a cluster of magnolia leaves and a cluster of magnolia leaves with a bloom. The stem and leaf clusters were created from graphics and photos, respectively, I found "out there" and the leaf cluster with the bloom was created from the first leaf-only element combined with "just" the center bloom from the stock graphic mentioned up above. These were then combined into the greater graphical element within the software with adjustments to size, orientation and thickness to build a multi-dimensional piece that could be cut as one element in the material on the CNC.

Before I went further with things like texture, "defects" and other things, I made a test cut which was, um...instructional. Despite it taking nearly a day to produce, it clearly showed me what I needed to adjust and change from a physical size standpoint to insure that the "real" piece could be cut out and stay in one piece prior to installation. I made those adjustments in the design and then proceeded to do all the detail modeling to bring the leaves, blooms and stem "to life", at least in a reasonable way. Being a first time for all of this, I committed another day to cutting a second sample just to be sure I got it right before putting the good stuff on the machine bed. That worked out and I cut the left side first; mirrored it and then cut the right side on a subsequent day. I had a few small areas of vertical height inaccuracy, likely from wood movement, but those were easy to clean up with some small, sharp gouges and sanding. Here are a few photos during the production of these elements...

IMG_3770.jpg IMG_3777.jpg

Because I have a limit of just over 48" for cutting, the top leaf/bloom element for each side had to be cut separately. Here's how they fit together
    IMG_3782.jpg

And here's the completed left side fireplace appliqué ready for installation
    IMG_3791.jpg

The finish the client chose for the (whole) room is a Zar oil based high-solids clear varnish and I have to say it was perfect for these appliqués in that it minimized the sanding work on the edges. The first of two coats really filled in the scratches and the second provided a very smooth edge.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2019 at 8:20 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Today I delivered the final output to the site and installed the fireplace elements since they were complex and delicate. Part of the design here is that the whole thing had to cover a joint between two boards that made the vertical panels on each side of the fireplace. It was a small challenge to get a "meandering stem" and leave cluster arrangement that did that without looking "too straight"!! The top element also hides the "tee" joint where the horizontal flush mantle board contacts the vertical panels. At any rate, I'm uber pleased with the end result and the client was absolutely thrilled.

DSC_8761.jpg DSC_8763.jpg DSC_8759.jpgDSC_8760.jpg IMG_3820.jpg

And here are some pano-shots of the room as a whole

IMG_3816.jpg IMG_3818.jpg IMG_3819.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2019 at 8:27 PM.
    --

Just to be complete, here are some shots of the doors that my cousin built in the temporary basement shop using the "job site" Hammer/Felder combo machine, a bunch of Festool tools and a giant vacuum table.

DSC_8764.jpg DSC_8766.jpg DSC_8767.jpg

What I really appreciate about both the room and the doors is that the client chose to use the material "as is" with the sapwood and knots and other natural features...it really looks incredible and will only look better with time.

Clearly, they chose a good name for this estate, too...

DSC_8769.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-28-2019 at 8:31 PM.
    --

Beautiful work Jim. Beautiful home.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks, Bruce. The whole place is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to going back in a couple months for the gathering the owners are planning for everyone who worked on the project. They apparently have a ton of antique furniture dating from the 1600s into the 1800s and it will be really nice to be able to see and "fondle" that stuff! In addition to using the walnut from the site, the stone in the decorative walls at the junction of the driveway to the road are from the "original-original" farm structure that was on the property in the 1700s. A hint of that structure remains visible out the window facing the magnolia tree. A portion of the stone used for the home came from the most previous "original" structure that was torn down to build this estate home...it was not salvageable and had to come down.
    --

___W O W__

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

You did yourself proud Jim.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Wow. Really nice work Jim. Must be a treat to work with clients like that as well. I can see a CNC machine of some kind in my future...maybe a ways of but something I would like to do.
    Regards,

Kris

Incredible work! It gives new dimensions to possible future projects. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Beautiful work all around, and a real shame you didn't have any fun on the fireplace trim pieces! Something to be proud of.

The overall effect of the paneling is amazing - - and clearly it was not steamed. I want one!

Really nice work, Jim. If it took all day for your CNC to cut one of those you must have charged a good buck for them. Looks like your clients could afford it, though.

Your cousin did a great job building those doors, too. But who's design were they? The proportions of the rails and panels look odd to me.

John

Absolutely jaw dropping! You've done justice to the architecture for sure. And that's quite an impressive house, just looking at the outside. And all of that black walnut panelling?!?

John, this kind of work that includes modeling can pay VERY well...and yes, this job did, even considering the extra time I spent with multiple prototypes to insure I got it correct in the real material, being the first time I did something this complex. Almost anyone can cut downloadable 3D models and even throw them together, but that's not a great goal for custom work and custom work rates. While I did use one component from the "library", all the leaf clusters, stem/trunk and various combinations of them that made up the final merged component took a lot of work at the computer to define, add depth and add detail. Keep in mind that I started with "flat" photos/graphics for those things. Only the "bloom" portions came from an existing component and even that was modified quite a bit, particularly to keep detail and depth as things were scaled up and down in size over the whole thing. As much as I made good money on this one...I will absolutely have more time in future jobs accounted for, literally. Estimating time is the hardest part of this defining the project!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Absolutely jaw dropping! You've done justice to the architecture for sure. And that's quite an impressive house, just looking at the outside. And all of that black walnut panelling?!?
    Only this one room has the black walnut paneling, Mike. It would take a whole forrest to do the entire house I suspect. My guess...10-12K square feet total over four levels.
    --

Fine work and wood. The surround is my favorite, I think it's hard for even the finest mantles to compete with a good one.