Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do Pros use rough sawn boards for Kitchen cabinet builds?

Pretty funny where this headed.

I’m in the boat “if the check clears” I’ll make you whatever you want provided it isn’t absalute actual garbage that will destroy my reputation. But you know I work for someone so I don’t have to worry about that. I build what I’m told, the way I’m told and so long as I’m payed on time every two weeks and have at least 52 payed weeks a year work I could care less.

As soon as work gets scarce giving a hoot about what your building and how goes right out the window imop. At least it does to me.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-07-2019 at 8:00 AM.

sorry you didnt know Mark cathedrals always point up. Patrick said it looks like crap not me. Upside down is wrong, Patrick was right, it does look like crap.

so can see my post so lets see if posting again shows the one before this if i log off and come back on again

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The sad fact is that 99.9% of the consumers out there in this day and age really dont care, dont know, dont care to know, and as horrific as it sounds, if their checks clear, it is what it is. If your the type thats going to drive a cabinet-sentric (sp) stake in the ground on principal thats great if you have the work to show them to the door.
    DSCF3085.jpg

I agree. I use this as an example. Although technically interesting I consider it one of the ugliest things I have ever built. But the design is not mine and it paid well, enough that I could take a summer off and do things that I enjoy. So, although at times I have refused commissions that I figured would damage my reputation, sometimes reality is a cruel mistress. I just kept thinking about fishing...........

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    sorry you didnt know Mark cathedrals always point up. Patrick said it looks like crap not me. Upside down is wrong, Patrick was right, it does look like crap.
    Unless an interior designer insists they point down.........

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Unless an interior designer insists they point down.........

What if they are at the top and bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    DSCF3085.jpg

I agree. I use this as an example. Although technically interesting I consider it one of the ugliest things I have ever built. But the design is not mine and it paid well, enough that I could take a summer off and do things that I enjoy. So, although at times I have refused commissions that I figured would damage my reputation, sometimes reality is a cruel mistress. I just kept thinking about fishing...........
    This is actually comforting to me as my significant other and I recently took one of the first vacations I have had in perhaps 15-20 years and of all things as 50 year olds we opted to go to Disney world. I have fond memories of riding the spinning tea cups.

We all do what we have to do. I understand Warrens point that there are "suppose" to be some unwavering standards. You dont put your underwear on outside your pants. Thats a good standard. Cathedrals up, as someone with an art background, just makes me want to point them down and make it work.

Im no master but Ive been doing this type of crap for 30+ years and one of my biggest pet peeves are the people who say "because thats the way Ive always done it" or "because thats the way I was taught". They forge ahead for a lifetime on a fixed plane. Meanwhile design, technology, and I guess life.. , passes you by. Harkening back to a time of horrifically dangerous tooling, age old practices, and fixed standards, is fine. We all stick to standards (underpants go under your pants). But...

Is what it is. When you have to cover the overhead of your own shop a lot of the stakes in the ground become easily shifted.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 03-07-2019 at 1:36 PM. Reason: added "s" to stake to make it stakes

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Patrick may well have said it looks like crap because we've all been taught/told that they point up. I have no idea. My point is to be willing to challenge convention. Its both painful and pleasurable when your in business because a customer or designer presents you with a plan that may look reprehensible to you at first glance but then your consideration for a warm meal in your belly or to pay your shops taxes for the year settles an air of diplomacy over you. Maybe it leads to you kicking the doors off the hinges in refusal to compromise your "cathedrals up" on a profitable job, or maybe it leads to a relationship with an outside the box thinker that makes you a millionaire?

As with everything. Take your pick.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 03-07-2019 at 3:07 PM.

Cathedrals. In looking at full page glossy color ad pics for American top tier antiques they are shown both ways. Sideboards are are the best survey subjects, having lots of veneer square footage .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Cathedrals. In looking at full page glossy color ad pics for American top tier antiques they are shown both ways. Sideboards are are the best survey subjects, having lots of veneer square footage .
    Just my $0.02 and I have book shelves devoted to how things have been done traditionally but nothing should be looked at any "way". You might make comment to the work presented that typically cathedrals go in some given direction. But to utterly disable yourself due to some neurotic "tick" with regards to any design detail is to me simply dangerous. Some part of me wishes these standards were through and through because it would speak to a standard I could rely upon for revenue. But the simple fact is If I become one of these stodgy stalwarts, I will have an ever shrinking base of customers to support my business who think Im incapable of adaptation.

Blog Entries
    Use vertical grain and you dont have to worry which way it points.

I had a conversation a while back about my shoji making and tradition, it was a concern that I did not point the boards to the right as that is the traditional method. I use VG boards and hadn't given the direction any consideration beyond the practical. I went ahead and 'corrected' it on follow up work, but I still don't quite see it as being correct.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I never thought about the proper orientation of cathedrals in wood, but I have seen a lot of mountains in my time, and it just seemed natural to me to orient them in the same fashion as the mountain ranges appear in my memory...pointed up...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Of course...between the mountains are valleys...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ROFL...Deep insight for sure.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The root of it all. Dont ignore negative space lol. Smart man