Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Bit Sharpener

Question Drill Bit Sharpener

Thinking about buy a drill bit sharpener and wanted some suggestions. I mostly use bits from 1/8 to 3/4 inch in wood and some time mild steel.

I have the drill doctor and it does a great job. I have the cheap one and think it only goes to 1/2". I think there is a more expensive one that does 3/4".

I have the 3/4" drill doctor and if used correctly does a great job. It takes quite awhile to sharpen anything over 1/2" so i'm not sure the extra expense of the larger unit is worth the price.
    I've seen people who can freehand sharpen them but i've never been able to master it.

Do those Drill Doctors sharpen brad point bits? Or are they just for standard twist bits?
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 02-28-2019 at 4:37 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

You didn't ask about budget, so there is always Darex. I have an M2 that will put a factory edge on almost any drill bit. There is a big difference in a properly sharpened bit, and lesser quality sharpened ones-especially for metal. I would never have paid what they cost for one, but it was in a bunch of machine tools left to me. They do pop up used on ebay, but still in the hundreds of dollars. I had a cheap one years ago, but it was pretty pitiful, and it never saw much use.

With the price of a Darex there is a budget. LOL I could buy a lot of bits for that, I was thinking in the 100 to 200 range at tops.

I was a journeyman machinist and was trained to hand sharpen. I received a Drill Doctor 750 for Christmas one year and for kicks ran a slew of bits through it. The DD750 does an excellent job sharpening but it does require some patience. I can hand sharpen 8-10 bits in the time it takes to do 1 with the DD.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yeah, I looked at the left handed collet for the Darex, and decided I would never buy enough left handed bits to be worth the $389 for the adapter. It does an amazing job, but I always have to read the manual to set up for any unusual bit. I would never have bought one either, but do appreciate using it.

The Drill Doctor is OK, but I found it very difficult to get the smaller bits oriented to get the correct angle. 1/4" and larger bits were much easier to sharpen correctly. Although I've had the Drill Doctor for at least several years, I found I really don't use it much. The question I have now is whether it's really worth it. The bits I use a lot, could easily be replaced relatively cheaply and the other bits, rarely used, don't need sharpening very often.

I bought a DD used off of CL for $20. I doubt I would buy one new. It does work, but as was said, not used that much. Now if you do a lot of drilling in metals, it might be more valuable. Anyway, for what it cost me, I'm happy with it.

Blog Entries
    I also have the DD that goes to 1/2". (model 750 maybe). As others state, not used that much but, I have definitely paid for it in sharpened drills. Once you get the hang of it, very quick and easy to use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Well I know this is ancient and probably not the most desired method, but I have a Craftsman drill bit grinding attachment (part #9-6677) that does a very good job but takes some getting used to. Paid $10 for it on Craigslist and the guy threw in one of the original Craftsman grinding wheels (part#6429) that are compatible with grinding on the side of the wheel. They work with bits from 1/8-3/4" and adjust to all angles. If you have a bench grinder you can pick up one of these attachments for under $20 on eBay or Craigslist. I don't know if grinding wheels that are safe to use on the side are made anymore, but some CBN wheels are available that allow for grinding on the side of the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    You didn't ask about budget, so there is always Darex. I have an M2 that will put a factory edge on almost any drill bit. There is a big difference in a properly sharpened bit, and lesser quality sharpened ones-especially for metal. I would never have paid what they cost for one, but it was in a bunch of machine tools left to me. They do pop up used on ebay, but still in the hundreds of dollars. I had a cheap one years ago, but it was pretty pitiful, and it never saw much use.
    Or better yet is a Black Diamond drill sharpener. used it will run around $300. but you need a set of collet inserts which will cost about $90 per set. You need a different set for fraction, letter, and number. metric if you want. they make an attachment for web thinning as well.
    Bill D

Does anyone just use a grinder? Fast and easy. Plus, I like being able to easily grind a custom angle.

bought a Drill Doctor 750 about 5 years ago now. BIG PIECE OF GARBAGE watched the video's, read and reread the instructions it will not sharpen a bit right only ruins them. No help from the company when I asked what I was doing wrong. JUST told to watch the video again.
    No way, No how would I ever wish this piece of crap on any one