Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: China Machines

China Machines

Hi there,
    New to this forum,
    I have worked as a woodworker/ cabinet maker for the better part of my 40 year work career. I have had my own shop and have worked in high end custom shops.

I'm in the process of setting up a small shop in a new 600sqft building I just finished. I was online looking at Chines made Machines, I have about 20 emails back and forth trying to get a better understanding of the tools.

I was thinking of a slider saw and a combo jointer/planer or a full combo 7 in one.

Anyone ever order direct from China?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I know nothing about that machine, but China is certainly capable of making some excellent machinery. The quality depends on what the market wants them to build.

No idea how to search for it, but there was a fairly recent thread about someone who did what you're describing. Sounded more involved with importing and customs, etc., than I would have been comfortable with. Then there's the matter of warranty issues...

If you are in an area where you can find good used machines, why not just buy good used machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    No idea how to search for it, but there was a fairly recent thread about someone who did what you're describing. Sounded more involved with importing and customs, etc., than I would have been comfortable with. Then there's the matter of warranty issues...
    This is the thread Nick is referring to:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nture-(So-Far)

(my impression, at the time of reading the thread, was that it seemed like a LOT of work, risk, and future headache to save ~50% off what you could buy a common/popular machine like a Minimax or Hammer for)

Thanks, Dan, for finding the thread, and for confirming that my memory isn't just a series of random hallucinations.

I understand folks wanting to save money but combo machines, regardless of where they’re made, are complex and can be rendered completely useless by just a few missing or damaged parts. I saw plenty of damaged and destroyed machines just between Atlanta and domestic addresses. Just my 2-cents.

Erik

I have several chinese machines, but no multi-tool device. Mine are mostly Grizzly and Jet. I like them all. For a hobbiest, I'm way ahead on money compared to NA or European machine costs. However, Grizzly and Jet are here to help. And no one machine cost thousands of dollars. To import a multi-tool that costs thousands, I'm not sure I'd do it. No real support and a lot of hassle as you are the importer. If a multi-tool is what you want, I'd look for a used Euro or bite the bullet and pony up the cash for a new one.

I think your right about that..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    If you are in an area where you can find good used machines, why not just buy good used machines?
    space is my concern. I started looking for a sliding saw with scoring and a combo plainer Jointer..that lead to the 7 function combo machine..I only have single phase and not interested in building another phase converter so most used sliding panel saws are 3 ph and 7 or so HP,

Tim, if you haven't, check out either the Hammer C3-31 or the Minimax LAB300.

Either can be had (new) for ~$10k (USD).

The Hammer, at least, is single-phase, accepts a dado stack, has a scoring blade, and has a helical head on the jointer/planer (unlike the one you linked or Matt S's machine, which I think both have straight knives). And (compared to the no-name ones) you get the benefit of warranty, local support, parts availability long into the future, and a much better resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Cardinal View Post
    space is my concern. I started looking for a sliding saw with scoring and a combo plainer Jointer..that lead to the 7 function combo machine..I only have single phase and not interested in building another phase converter so most used sliding panel saws are 3 ph and 7 or so HP,
    If you can swing the initial investment, a full combo is the way to go. In my experience, most folks who went the individual j/p and saw/shaper route did so because the initial price point for the 5-in-1 was too high or they already had a table saw. If I was starting from scratch and had the money, I’d do a full combo but I understand the budget concern as well. Where are you located?

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    If you can swing the initial investment, a full combo is the way to go. In my experience, most folks who went the individual j/p and saw/shaper route did so because the initial price point for the 5-in-1 was too high or they already had a table saw. If I was starting from scratch and had the money, I’d do a full combo but I understand the budget concern as well. Where are you located?

Erik
    I agree with this, although in my case, I had to do the saw separate from the J/P because of how my shop space is with a stairway that couldn't be removed.

To the original question, I'd personally be reluctant to do any importation myself for something this complex, especially with so many good choices available with better chances for support if it's needed. The referenced thread about direct importation of a machine awhile back just reinforced this for me. It was a successful endeavor, but a whole lot of work and running around to pull it off. Time is money...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

...To the original question... It was a successful endeavor, but a whole lot of work and running around to pull it off. Time is money...
    I’m in bed with Jim on this...wait, that doesn’t sound right...I agree with Jim, I would never undertake importing a machine from anywhere, after reading the original thread. Too much running around and uncertainty.

But as for “Time is money,” Jim I can see you are not fully retired yet!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Blog Entries
    Add the cost of LTL ocean freight plus managing the import plus duties and then add local delivery to that. LTL ocean freight can be pretty expensive.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.