Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: China Machines

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    This is extremely misleading. They might be capable, but we very seldom see any evidence of this here in their machinery. Rather it would be wise to expect just the opposite.

Taiwan's machinery however can generally be relied upon to far exceed the quality of made in China. Nevertheless buying used, quality, US equipment might be a better approach.
    Andy I have no idea where you live but the Tim lives in Western Canada about 5 or 6 hours from the border. So how does he find good used machines from somewhere in your country, paying the 30% or so exchange to buy them? Then paying to for trucking to Canada and at the border paying taxes on the machine and the trucking plus the brokerage fees. Then it has to journey those 5 or 6 more hours to him. He can fly to China and inspect the machines he wants, supervise the loading into a shipping container, and when they arrive at his place move the tools into the shop and have the container to boot for less that getting the used machines you suggest to his door.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    ...paying the 30% or so exchange...paying to for trucking to Canada...paying taxes...and the trucking plus the brokerage fees. Then it has to journey those 5 or 6 more hours to him...
    Peter, you make it sound virtually impossible, which it isn't. Still, I cannot in good conscience recommend that he buy Chinese crap.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

ive seen a number of used combos over the years SCM, Felder, Hammer, and others. I have really old SCM combo, its a bit primitive but its solid and built well. Likely heavier than some of the newer machines. There are always used machines for sale. I guess the story is different depending on where you live. Ive had to travel to pick some up different amounts of time but would still do that before importing something like that.

You can buy a new or used container in China and let someone use it one way to Canada with your machine and their stuff inside. It gets unloaded at their destination then hauled to your place with your machine inside. You get a nice new container for a shed delivered. Total shipping cost is not much more then shipping just the machine and you get a shed with no hurry to unload at your end.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    This is extremely misleading. They might be capable, but we very seldom see any evidence of this here in their machinery. Rather it would be wise to expect just the opposite.

Taiwan's machinery however can generally be relied upon to far exceed the quality of made in China. Nevertheless buying used, quality, US equipment might be a better approach.
    In my shop in minnesota I had old delta, Northfield and Oliver..that was some nice and smooth machinery...the Northfield Jointer was amazing..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    You can buy a new or used container in China and let someone use it one way to Canada with your machine and their stuff inside. It gets unloaded at their destination then hauled to your place with your machine inside. You get a nice new container for a shed delivered. Total shipping cost is not much more then shipping just the machine and you get a shed with no hurry to unload at your end.
    Bill D.
    Sound interesting...I'm needing a sea can when the garage becomes the shop..