Thread: Jet 1221VS and the Delta Vari Speed MidiLathe

Jet 1221VS and the Delta Vari Speed MidiLathe

Both my HF mini lathes have now bit the dust because of the belts shredding. I tried all the methods I got off the internet to push the spindle free so I could change the belt but no go. So I salvaged the motors and consigned the rest to the trash heap. I am looking at the Jet because that's about my spending limit. I'm asking questions because it too is an Oriental machine. It seems that the belts in question were cheap and the Lathe was a Jet clone. The belts were an amber color, thinner than they were wide, with string embedded in them.

At one time the Jet was very popular, I wonder if it still is? Is the belt a good quality rubber like the belts you see advertised for lawnmowers and such or is it like the HF belts?

Oh, and regarding the Delta Midi Lathe: I'm told it has an automatic tensioner for the belt. Would this Lathe be better than the Jet?

Thanks,
    Paul

I have the Jet 1221VS, and the belt is of very good quality. It is a great midi lathe. The belt adjustment is a ratcheting type, and very easy to adjust. I think Jet lathes are on sale right now.

Good! Where?

Quote Originally Posted by paul handley View Post
    Good! Where?
    You might want to check around the internet for other places as well; but, Craft Supplies USA has them on sale now for $764.99.

Delta had parts issues where folks under warranty couldn't get replacement parts. I don't know if this issue has been resolved or not. You might want to do some research to see if the parts problems are still an issue b_efore you consider the Delta.

The Jet 1221 that our club purchased has been trouble free for many years.

Paul, looks like Jet is running a 10% off sale starting today with free shipping. Various vendors to choose from.

Thanks, Fellows. Looks like the Jet is the one!
    Paul

You are welcome. Hope you like it as much as I like mine.