Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor Keyway Messed Up

Motor Keyway Messed Up

Okay let me have it, how bad is this and is it repairable or do I need a new motor!?

Thanks

Mike

IMG_20190227_153125.jpg

Take a small file and remove a little metal along the shaft keyway until the key fits again. There is no worry as long as the key still fits snuggly when you are done.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 02-27-2019 at 5:33 PM.

Doesn't look fatal to me either. I'm sure I've fixed worse with a small file. If you need to, get some keyway stock in the next size up, and upsize the slots in the shaft, and pulley. If the pulley doesn't still fit tightly on the shaft, that may need to be replaced too.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-27-2019 at 5:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Take a small file and remove a little metal along the shaft keyway until the key fits again. There is no worry as long as the key still fits snuggly when you are done.
    From the pic its worn oversized (wallowed out) a lot. That chunk on the end looks like the original sidewall.

Im guessing the key just falls out.

I would personally weld it up and re-machine the keyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    From the pic its worn oversized (wallowed out) a lot. That chunk on the end looks like the original sidewall.

Im guessing the key just falls out.

I would personally weld it up and re-machine the keyway.
    Yes brand new key just falls out and Pulley has wobble when tightened down and spun. I'll have to call around to find someone to repair this. Should I call machine shops or electric motor repair shops?
    Last edited by Mike Mulville; 02-27-2019 at 6:03 PM.

Get a pulley that uses a bushing.

I see the second bevel in the bottom of the keyway now from the key rocking.

I would go to a machine shop.

Yes, it's rocking in the opposite direction the motor turns which is what I would expect. How does this happen? Is it because the set screws came loose at some time?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mulville View Post
    Yes, it's rocking in the opposite direction the motor turns which is what I would expect. How does this happen? Is it because the set screws came loose at some time?
    That's the usual cause.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Alright then. I found a motor repair shop that does machining too. I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'll use loctite on the set screws for sure. Thanks. I'll let you all know what happens.

Cover the key with petroleum jelly (as a mold release) and place it in the slot, shim it over to the good side with appropriate size wire placed perpendicular to the shaft, mix up some Devcon Plastic Steel Putty, and pack it in the crack. I mean really pack it. Then clean everything back up when fully hardened and you are back in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Cover the key with petroleum jelly (as a mold release) and place it in the slot, shim it over to the good side with appropriate size wire placed perpendicular to the shaft, mix up some Devcon Plastic Steel Putty, and pack it in the crack. I mean really pack it. Then clean everything back up when fully hardened and you are back in business.
    Best answer so far. Machining out key way will require removing rotor from motor and mounting in Bridgeport. If you should weld it up, heat could warp shaft, plus cause loss of temper. After it's welded, you have to turn it to size, them key way milled at another location. You can buy keys that are two sizes, so by machining out existing key way, you can keep it at it's current location. None of these options are very cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Best answer so far. Machining out key way will require removing rotor from motor and mounting in Bridgeport. If you should weld it up, heat could warp shaft, plus cause loss of temper. After it's welded, you have to turn it to size, them key way milled at another location. You can buy keys that are two sizes, so by machining out existing key way, you can keep it at it's current location. None of these options are very cheap!
    I'm a little worried that the wobble in the pulley means the shaft has worn unevenly but I guess that could be the pulley hole worn out too.

Have the motor shop machine a key slot 180* from the damaged one on the shaft, if they cannot use the original keyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Get a pulley that uses a bushing.
    That would be the cheap, fast and permanent option.