Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor Keyway Messed Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    That would be the cheap, fast and permanent option.
    I haven't been able to find a unisaw three belt pulley with bushing.

If your pulley wobbles, the bore is worn in the pulley. A worn key way causes backlash, not wobble. Get a new pulley and fit the key using Richard's method. The new pulley is a must otherwise all your effort won't fix the problem. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    If your pulley wobbles, the bore is worn in the pulley. A worn key way causes backlash, not wobble. Get a new pulley and fit the key using Richard's method. The new pulley is a must otherwise all your effort won't fix the problem. Cheers

That's what I was thinking. Thanks Wayne.

4. I have been a machinist and toolmaker and for a couple years worked in an electric motor shop doing mechanical repair. There are options, they could recut the keyway to a larger size and make a custom key to fit. Without seeing your pulley I can't say for sure but it could be repaired if you have enough room to make a sleeve large enough to have a new keyway cut in the sleeve. Not going to be cheap but do-able. Do take your motor and pulley both with you and see what they can do. Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by James A. Brown View Post
    I have been a machinist and toolmaker and for a couple years worked in an electric motor shop doing mechanical repair. There are options, they could recut the keyway to a larger size and make a custom key to fit. Without seeing your pulley I can't say for sure but it could be repaired if you have enough room to make a sleeve large enough to have a new keyway cut in the sleeve. Not going to be cheap but do-able. Do take your motor and pulley both with you and see what they can do. Jim.
    Thanks Jim. I have a very highly rated electric motor repair shop nearby and I'll see what they say. New motor is $450! H hopefully cheaper than that.

Finally got in there again and did some measuring. The motor pulley bore .750 on one end and .764 on the other. The motor shaft is .750 end to end, so that's good. The motor repair shop says it'll be about $150 bucks to machine a new keyway 180 degrees from the old one and they'd replace the bearings while they were at it. I could try the metal putty fix also. Looks like I'll be buying a new pulley either way at about $80. Anybody have a source for the pulleys any cheaper?

Mike you said this is off a Unisaw ? Is it a triple belt pulley ? I have a bunch of Unisaw parts at my shop,goes hand in hand with buying and selling a couple Uni's... If you have the part number post it and I can check what I have.

I would look at Surplus Center, they have a lot of that stuff. If you need a triple I don't know if they have them, but for singles and doubles they're pretty cheap.
    Zach
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/Pulley...tional:3/4\%22

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Mike you said this is off a Unisaw ? Is it a triple belt pulley ? I have a bunch of Unisaw parts at my shop,goes hand in hand with buying and selling a couple Uni's... If you have the part number post it and I can check what I have.
    I believe it's the 41-644 HD 3 groove pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mulville View Post
    Anybody have a source for the pulleys any cheaper?
    Go over to OWWM and put a WTB post on BOYD.

See if Grizzly has a knock-off saw that uses a 3 groove. Most of their "engineering" involved making identical copies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    See if Grizzly has a knock-off saw that uses a 3 groove. Most of their "engineering" involved making identical copies.
    Its the g1023 saw, and likely will fit

Mike I checked at my shop. I have two different diameters. Pretty sure that they should be the same diameter (both pulleys on saw from factory). Do you know the outside diameter of pulley you need ?

Late to the party, and sounds like you have a path forward, so this may be just for posterity..?

I also think others may have alluded to this, but if you can file or machine a 'wallowed' keyway up to the next size, and the mating piece (pulley in this case) is still good you can machine keystock with a 'step' - allowing it to fit both - for a whole lot less than replacing all the bits and pieces.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-01-2019 at 7:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Mike I checked at my shop. I have two different diameters. Pretty sure that they should be the same diameter (both pulleys on saw from factory). Do you know the outside diameter of pulley you need ?
    The bore is .75" and the outer diameter is 3.5" 3 groove.