Thread: What is With Stanley 42X Pricing?

Blog Entries

What is With Stanley 42X Pricing?

Because of a recent discussion on saw care mentioned saw sets my curiosity was aroused.

Looking on ebay shows four recent sales of Stanley #42X saw sets. One went for just under $30 with the shipping. The other three were over $100 each.

Is this an anomaly of the market or has some woodworking guru claimed them to be the must have tool of 2019?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's been like that for several years.

Could have to do with their condition - and/or someone getting carried away during an auction.

At Jim Bode, they mostly seem to sell for $70-$90. He has three in stock now for $69, $79 and $85.

I hit two ,at different times, complete in boxes for under $5 each. You gotta look at the stuff the ladies are selling. Sold one ,giving the other to my son.

Blog Entries
    I have six saw sets, four Stanleys, one Somax, and one Taintor.

I like the Taintor the most. One of the Stanley sets was my fathers.

I think those that sell on the auction site tend to be over priced.

The mythic 42X has had a aura over it for years. I don't know why. Maybe the X. I had two and sold one for $40. I had paid ten bucks in an antique store.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I can claim this one. I extolled the virtues of the 42X all the way back in the mid 90s when I was making Independence Tool Dovetail Saws. That's what I used to set them and it worked very well for that purpose. I think I may have written an article or two about it in the Fine Tool Journal along the way. Since Stanley isn't making them anymore, I guess as more people learn to file, they are in very high demand. It is a great set! The regular 42 will work just as well in competent hands.

Blog Entries
    Jim, you helped me score my first 42x a number of years back on ebay, I think I got it for $15 or less. I sense have picked up a couple more for parts at flea markets for a few bucks each, they always seem to be missing a knob or anvil. I think in parts I have a complete second in the drawer. Most likely one of the magazine gods said something and made the price spike, just like with the 2101 bit brace.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork