Thread: Software Options for a New Hermes Vanguard 3200

Software Options for a New Hermes Vanguard 3200

I recently acquired a New Hermes Vanguard 3200 engraving machine with an EP module and very old Dos based software running in a Dos shell in Windows 98.
    The unit works flawlessly, but the old software only allows for simple text and about 6 fonts.

My machine has an air piston that controls the up/down stroke of the graver (I was told this might be pertinent) .

I am considering buying a used copy of Gravostyle 98 to drive the EP unit, or a new copy of Engravelab to drive the EP unit, or a driver set from Solustan Inc. that would allow me to send Corel files directly through the existing EP control module.

I will NOT consider spending $2000-$2500 or more for a complete EP module replacement system from Solustan.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
    1) Does Gravostyle 98 include drivers for all New Hermes machines, or was it originally intended only for the specific machine it was sold for (I do know about the required security dongle).
    I have an opportunity to buy an old copy of Gravostyle 98 and dongle that came with an IS200 machine.
    I'm including a pic of the Key Level of the software.
    There is a line on the key page that says "Post Processors for other tables" which is NOT checked.
    Does that mean there are no drivers for my table?
    The used Gravostyle software and dongle would be maybe $400
    2) Anyone with experience on Engravelab? I downloaded their fully functional Demo Version (good for 15 days)
    There is not a specific driver for the Vanguard 3200. They have a generic EP module driver, and a driver for the V3400
    I am having an intermittent problem of the graver sometimes driving off the edge of the table...or worse, right into the clamp when trying to engrave DXF files.
    Engravelab says they need to consult with their techs.
    The Engravelab software will be $500-1800 depending on level.
    I have obvious concerns buying expensive software that may occasionally ruin my engraving bits AND work.
    3) Solustan seems to offer a driver based solution, like a print driver. They say I should be able to send a file from Corel (or other programs that generate a line drawing) directly to the existing EP module. They may be able to offer me a free demo. If this works it will be $600.

I would appreciate any advice.
    I own numerous CNC machines, and am used to using G-Code programming and systems like Mach3 or Flashcut CNC.
    I didn't realize how proprietary engraving machine software was...fortunately I got the entire working machine for $430, so there is room for reasonable upgrading costs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one too. It got rained on when I closed my shop. :-( I need to either pull it apart and restore it or move it on to someone who wants to. My plan was to ditch the EP controller all together and set it up to run off a g540 or similar for gcode control.

I think it would be a much more time consuming and expensive to build a motion control system from scratch since I already have a working system. I have seen a couple YouTube videos where people have done it. My machine is basically a simple 2 axis machine with a pneumatic cylinder to control the up/down of the spindle. A 2 axis motor controller could be built with a switch to activate the air solenoid based on a Gcode command (like you would use in a plasma cutting table system to activate the plasma torch on and off). Another Gcode command might be used to turn off and on the rotation of the spindle depending on if you are drag engraving or rotational engraving. Its definitely possible, and in your case would be much more cost effective than buying a whole Solustan controller package for $2500.

Gravostyle 98 is newer than the machine that's running from that lousy Opensys DOS program- BTW I have a 3200 and three 3400's (for starters )

I know nothing of EngraveLab, but I do know the GS98 will run your machine. You'll likely have to install a generic text driver to run the machine. Make the printer name 3200 (or whatever you like)

Once 98 is loaded, this is the 'pick-a-machine' menu-
    scroll down until you find the V3200 machine and choose it-
    32.jpg

after which you'll get this menu:
    mp.jpg
    note I put 3200 and 'enter name' -- it's important that the printer name matches everywhere..
    now, note the bottom right corner it says 'more', clicking that takes you into the post processor...
    answer YES when it asks if you want to edit...
    Should look something like below.
    pop.jpg
    --about 3 pages down you'll come to where it says
    PORT=
    PORTDESCR=
    note mine shows port =1 < "1" means the serial or parallel port is "on" --
    Port decription, mine says =3400 that's the name of one of my machines, yours will need to say 3200 -or whatever name you've chosen, again, name must be the same everywhere.
    With any luck your port and descr values will already be correct, but it's rare when using generic print drivers (at least at my house! )

Hit all the OK's and hopefully that's all you'll need.
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 02-27-2019 at 5:33 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Here is a link with instructions on converting the EP module to Mach3 control

http://industrialtoolandmachineworks...itwebpage.html

The ONLY reason I can see why anyone would go to that much trouble to change over an EP module is if they didn't have access to Gravostyle, but you do... Or if changing electronics is a hobby-- for me, I'll take the easy way

And so you know, ANYthing you do in Corel you can engrave on your machine, it works exactly like running a Chinese machine; just finish your project in Corel, export into Gravostyle, line it up and go. (fwiw I've found EPS files from Corel import best into G-style)

Gravostyle DOES have some very nice features that are much easier done than doing them with Corel (plate matrixing is one) so they compliment each other. There's many things I do in Gravostyle then export to Corel for lasering...

Looks like the 98 you're looking at has hatch filling too, so you can easily full-cut any outlined fonts or graphics, not sure how that works with other software...

As for turning off the spindle, that's done in Gravostyle, and there's also a spindle motor switch on the module.

short version, if the 98 is cheap, get it and you're pretty much good to go...

>edit< -- just checked into Mach3 software-- best I can tell, it's nothing more than a hot-rod controller, which IMO is overkill for a 3200! You can already overdrive an EP module to where a 3200/3400's stepper motors won't keep up just by turning up the default slew rate. Unless I'm missing something, Mach3 isn't graphics software, and for all intents and purposes, neither is the Opensys you're stuck with at the moment!

more edit-- as to engravelab running off the table, shouldn't do that if the correct 12" x 8" max. work dimensions are used in the design process. Could be a home-position definition thing, or could be engravelab just ignores over-runs? I don't know... Gravostyle's maximums are entered in the machine parameters section (my second photo), and it's pretty failsafe- it won't let you enter dim's that are beyond the machine's boundaries in the parameters, and if your setup that you're sending to the machine has any objects that extend beyond the parameter's boundaries, the EP module will display various stuff, usually the bad coordinates, and won't start the machine...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 02-27-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Thanks for the info from everyone. I was able to buy the copy of Gravostyle 98, about 10 various gravers, and 5 sets of jaws from a guy with a broken machine, for only $350. I think I got a great bargain and will probably consider this thread closed unless I have any problems with the machine setup. There was good info on the setup further up the line in this thread, so I'm thinking I shouldn't have a problem.

I am having trouble getting the V3200 machine properly set up in Gravostyle and have started a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The ONLY reason I can see why anyone would go to that much trouble to change over an EP module is if they didn't have access to Gravostyle, but you do... Or if changing electronics is a hobby-- for me, I'll take the easy way

And so you know, ANYthing you do in Corel you can engrave on your machine, it works exactly like running a Chinese machine; just finish your project in Corel, export into Gravostyle, line it up and go. (fwiw I've found EPS files from Corel import best into G-style)

Gravostyle DOES have some very nice features that are much easier done than doing them with Corel (plate matrixing is one) so they compliment each other. There's many things I do in Gravostyle then export to Corel for lasering...

Looks like the 98 you're looking at has hatch filling too, so you can easily full-cut any outlined fonts or graphics, not sure how that works with other software...

As for turning off the spindle, that's done in Gravostyle, and there's also a spindle motor switch on the module.

short version, if the 98 is cheap, get it and you're pretty much good to go...

>edit< -- just checked into Mach3 software-- best I can tell, it's nothing more than a hot-rod controller, which IMO is overkill for a 3200! You can already overdrive an EP module to where a 3200/3400's stepper motors won't keep up just by turning up the default slew rate. Unless I'm missing something, Mach3 isn't graphics software, and for all intents and purposes, neither is the Opensys you're stuck with at the moment!

more edit-- as to engravelab running off the table, shouldn't do that if the correct 12" x 8" max. work dimensions are used in the design process. Could be a home-position definition thing, or could be engravelab just ignores over-runs? I don't know... Gravostyle's maximums are entered in the machine parameters section (my second photo), and it's pretty failsafe- it won't let you enter dim's that are beyond the machine's boundaries in the parameters, and if your setup that you're sending to the machine has any objects that extend beyond the parameter's boundaries, the EP module will display various stuff, usually the bad coordinates, and won't start the machine...
    Are you available for a question?

10. Looking for something other than this open dos software for my new hermes vanguard 3000lt

Dylan, I know zilch about most other New Hermes machines than those I own, and software in general isn't my strong point! The Engravelab and Mach3 software mentioned above, all I know of those is what I've read here, and that's not much! As to your 3000lt machine I'm not sure if Gravostyle would be compatible, but I THINK it would be if you're using an EP module to drive the machine. Gravostyle has always been expensive, but it seems older versions can be found for reasonable prices. Gravostyle is a great program too, but tricky to learn, but worth it when you do! Just beware that Gravostyle absolutely requires a security dongle to work, and before buying someone's used software verifying the dongle works is a must!

There are a few Gravograph technicians on the forum that may be of more help than I am, hopefully of them finds this thread and chimes in

When I get a minute I'll give my rep a call and see if he can help. This close to the weekend it might be a few days...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

12. Lowest price for gravo 98 i seen was $600 … was hoping someone here had a copy for less… or explain how i can get a dxf of a logo into the open dos to engrave… possibly consider the mach 3 upgrade but dont know muxh about it…

13. I do have the ep module so that’s a plus

I used the Opensys dos for several years before moving to Gravostyle, but that was over 20 years ago! -- there IS a way to engrave from or covert DXF files to engrave, but I forget the procedures-- I need to do some research!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter