Thread: Texturing a Maple Box

Texturing a Maple Box

I usually turn a lot of bowls ,but my roughouts are still drying in my homemade kiln. I found some dry 3” thick maple and decided to turn some boxes. This box is about 3” tall and 2 1/2”. The interior was cleaned out using a 1/2” swept back spindle gouge. I used a series of pull cuts starting a the center and working toward the desired wall thickness. The texturing was done with the small Sorby texturing tool. The beading was turned with a 3/8” spindle gouge after the texturing was applied.
    A1D75580-AC3E-46FE-A128-DDE00694C2CA.jpg BA0F2CEC-81E9-44DA-B1AB-102FC56345F0.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice work. I can't wait for my sorby texturing tool to arrive so I can start experimenting with it.

Nice look! It must be tricky spiraling so close to a raised band. I assume you spiraled first then cleaned up as needed while making the bead. You have any tips for the clan on how to hold and use the tool, the angle, left to right, etc?

JKJ

Very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice look! It must be tricky spiraling so close to a raised band. I assume you spiraled first then cleaned up as needed while making the bead. You have any tips for the clan on how to hold and use the tool, the angle, left to right, etc?

JKJ
    Ok, speed is about 500 rpm, wheel is set at center height and the handle is gently raised to have the points of the wheel cut. I had the tool tilted at about 30 degrees. As the tool is moved down the tool rest there should be small particles of wood dropping from it. If not the wheel is dull. It can be sharpened by honking the beveled side of the wheel. I do a lot of free hand sharpening so I just spin it lightly on my CBN 180 grit wheel. The beads a (3/8” Crown spindle gouge) are cut after. If you look closely the are small nicks in a couple beads from the spiraling. I left them becaus it seem to add interest.

Great job. Wish I could results like that with my sorby.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    Great job. Wish I could results like that with my sorby.
    Rich, make sure it’s sharp. I sharpened the wheel twice on that box. Mount a hardwood disk or large dowel on the lathe and set it like I mentioned above. Try it, then hone it till it cuts the wood.

Very nice spirals. You sure are a lot better with the texturing tool than I am. Some people can make the tool look easy.