Thread: How to Hide Ray Fleck in White Oak

How to Hide Ray Fleck in White Oak

I am making newel posts out of rift-sawn white oak. Frequently, ray flecks are exposed after re-sawing or planing. The plan is to stain it a dark color for a more modern look and would like to hide the ray fleck. Is there a process to down play or complete hide it? Thanks.

Those long tracks on white oak only show up when the lumber face is almost exactly quartersawn. If you get just a little off quartersawn, you only get the riftsawn look. You can often choose a rift- or quartersawn board out of a stack by looking at the end of the board.

Thanks. Unfortunately the boards are painted on the end. It turns out the lumberyard has a fair amount of rift sawn that could be used for quartersawn. I was trying to buy 6/4 and resaw it to save a little money but today when I opened the split board it was full of ray fleck. I might be better off just spending a bit more and going with 4/4.

Have you considered red oak? Depending on the tree and drying, red and white oak are indistinguishable but for the ray fleck.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Have you considered red oak? Depending on the tree and drying, red and white oak are indistinguishable but for the ray fleck.
    I find these two variants to be visibly different colors, so mixing them might require some extra work during coloration if there is adjacent material. Bare white oak to me has a more "greenish" cast while red oak has a more "pinkish" cast to my eyes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What I am really after is the rift grain pattern of the of the oak. I think it looks great with a dark stain -- more so than closed grain wood options. I think just working with the 4/4 where I can select one good surface may be the best option.

Use dye not a pigmented stain.

True rift oak (growth rings 30 - 60 degrees relative to the face) rarely has medullary ray fleck. It’s also not commonly available in wider boards.

Why don’t you just source some true rift?

As Steve said, dyes or dye stains will minimize the ray flecks. Here's a photo or two of a couple of rift sawn WO pieces I made. There were a few ray flecks in a couple of the boards, and I had to use them because I had no extra. My very particular customer had no complaints.

I used SW's BAC Wiping Stain. Dye + stain in one easy to use, non-grain raising, fast drying product. SW has quite a few standard colors, but will custom tint them, too, for no extra charge.

Before finishing:

After: