Thread: Combo Machine Identification

Combo Machine Identification

Can anyone identify this machine?

IMG_1205.jpg

The owner is the wife of a deceased woodworker and doesn't know what it is or what it is worth. I am going to look at it.

Rowland, maybe a 260, sold by Laguna in the day. Looks like a custom rip fence on the table saw.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-26-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Art ... Richard ... it's a Robland ... I have it's older brother in green.

Are they good machines? Are parts available?

Robland was my thought, too, and they are currently distributed by the Martin folks in the US.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    Art ... Richard ... it's a Robland ... I have it's older brother in green.
    Yup, knew it was Robland, either I made a mistake or spell checker got me. Thanks for the correction.

Resale is horrible, so don't pay over $2,000 for it. The aftermarket rip fence is a nice option, but that huge gap in front of the table saw table and rip fence mounting would be a real limiter for cutting short pieces. Hard to get right up to the table for setup with all that steel around the table. Slider is rather light weight, no support to the floor. Can't tell if the accessory mortising table is there or not. Check to see if you can run a dado head. Sometimes the cross cut fence can be a little sloppy to mount. Makes you recheck for square every time you take it off for ripping. I have a Minimax in that class of machine, I'd pass unless she basically gives it to you. Some widows want to clear out the "stuff", others expect retail pricing.

It’s DEFINITELY a Robland x31 sold by Laguna Tools - which no longer supports them.

I’d peg it as an early 2000’s variant, and the fence is not an aftermarket one but rather the combo rip and jointer fence that was dreamed up at the time to allow one fence to accommodate rip cuts out to 24” without mounting a second fence.

You need to make sure all 3 motors work, theyre around $500 to replace. Shaper fence is not in the picture and will run 500-1000 if missing and you can find one. It has the mobility kit, be sure the handle bar is still present. They will not take a dado over about 1/2” wide and even that will prove to be an exercise in patience. It simply wasn’t designed for dado cuts with a sawblade.

Looks in good cosmetic condition. I’ve seen them go for 1500 - 3500 depending on circumstances.

It’s a good option if you have a small space and the price is at the lower end of the range. Where else are you going to get a solid 12” jointer , 12” planer, a tablesaw and a 3hp shaper for 2 grand ? It does have a lot of quirks so if you’re set on making tons of dados and using all of Norm’s tablesaw jigs - then best look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 02-27-2019 at 9:34 PM.

Thank you all. I am going to look at it tomorrow. She doesn't know what kind of price to sell it for.

I examined it carefully and decided it wasn't for me. The jointer and planer cutter head is a straight knife and I already have a J/P combo machine with segmented spiral cutter head. I couldn't find the mortiser attachment.

I had an interesting conversation with one of the Italians regarding the x31. As everyone knows, it is a somewhat loathed machine here but apparently over there, people love it. However, it’s substantially less expensive in Europe, so the buyer understands that it’s not an MM, Hammer, or Felder.

Erik