Thread: Grounding dust collector

Grounding dust collector

Finally got the cnc up and running and need to work on grounding my dust collector. It's a Chinese 4HP double bagger collector. I'm going to run a copper stranded cable through the hose and ground it at the dust collector end but I have a question about the dust boot. It is a metal dust boot with one side clamping around the spindle. It works pretty good at collecting all of the dust and is fairly simple to slide on and off to change bits. Is there a good way to continue to use it and be safe in grounding away from the spindle, through the wire in the hose or should I change it to one made from plastic? I could loosen the clamping side and put a barrier between it and the spindle for it to clamp to but not sure if that would be effective because of the close proximity to the spindle.

Here is a picture of a similar boot to what my machine came with.

dustboot.jpg

Are you 100% sure your spindle is really grounded? If its Chinese the pin inside the connector that is suppose to be grounded, is not. My 4 wire flexible special VFD to spindle shielded cable, has the 4th wire for the ground. I ran that cable to my Z carriage and mounted a small dust proof metal electrical enclosure ( LR) and used that ground wire to ground that enclosure and the Z carriage. Then a shorter cable from that to the spindle. The spindle is grounded to the Z by the metal clamp that mounts the spindle. I ran another ground wire from that LR to the spindle mount clamp just to make sure. But it all checks out with my meter right now. The VFD end is all connected to a common ground inside that metal box.
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-26-2019 at 6:22 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I honestly never checked the ground on the spindle. Guess I'll add that to my list.

If it is mounted using the typical Chinese clamp, it is grounded as well as the Z axis plate is. Seldom, but not never, do the Chinese use a ground wire to the spindle

https://youtu.be/zKzjhp-yDkE
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Mine is grounded as above, otherwise the ground depends on the bearings in the linear bearing slide.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have been using flexible dryer vent hose on my CNC for 10 years now and no problem with static

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    Finally got the cnc up and running and need to work on grounding my dust collector. It's a Chinese 4HP double bagger collector. I'm going to run a copper stranded cable through the hose and ground it at the dust collector end but I have a question about the dust boot. It is a metal dust boot with one side clamping around the spindle. It works pretty good at collecting all of the dust and is fairly simple to slide on and off to change bits. Is there a good way to continue to use it and be safe in grounding away from the spindle, through the wire in the hose or should I change it to one made from plastic? I could loosen the clamping side and put a barrier between it and the spindle for it to clamp to but not sure if that would be effective because of the close proximity to the spindle.

Here is a picture of a similar boot to what my machine came with.

dustboot.jpg
    I'd drill and tap a hole in the shroud for a grounding screw. So the ground wire doesn't get in the way of tool changes, use male and female plugs (mini plugs, banana plugs, etc.) to allow disconnection with minimal trouble. 1/8" mono audio plugs work.

I never had a problem with static buildup/discharge until I added some PVC pipe and changed flexible hose. Right after the changeover the static got so bad it my hair stood on end whenever I got close to to hose, and it was triggering my proximity limit sensors. I ran braided ground wire inside the hose and PVC pipe, and also wound it around the outside. I ran the wire all the way back to my dust collector and made sure it terminated at the earth ground. I probably overdid it, but it worked.

Gary