Thread: Carpet tack strips and tall heavy bookcase?

Carpet tack strips and tall heavy bookcase?

Hello, all,

I'm getting ready to design a tall, narrow bookcase to set flush up against a wall.

The issue I'm wrestling with is that there are 1" or 1-1/2" wide carpet tack strips up against the wall where the weight of the bookcase will bear, and they will cause the bookcase to lean forward, away from the wall. In the past, elsewhere, I've driven a screw through the back of the bookcase into a stud to keep the bookcase from leaning forward and possibly falling over, but that's a kludge at best, since most of the weight of the bookcase bears on the tack strip, and the front of the bookcase is largely unsupported.

Since this bookcase will be taller and loaded down with books, I want the weight to bear down into the whole floor, not just (or mainly) the tack strip.

I'm thinking the way to do it would be to relieve the base in the back, so that it doesn't bear on the tack strip, but I can't think of a way to make the base look decent if I have a gap in the back.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make this look OK? TIA --

J

I like that idea, Dave, thank you. Sounds like that's the way to go, or maybe tack on shims (or better yet, rabbet the plinth such that part of it is where a shim would be tacked).

I appreciate your help.

A heavy bookcase sitting on carpet is going settle down as you load it. A tall narrow thing like that should be tied to the wall to prevent tip overs. That means the way it is tied to the wall should allow for vertical movement. Slotted holes in the casework is one way to do it.

Good point, thanks, Jamie

Adjustable feet on the front, hidden below the lowest shelf and behind the rail are a typical solution to this. There is a version that screws up and down, access through a hole just big enough for your screwdriver in the bottom.

Bob Lang

I like the idea of feet, like a piece of furniture. I also like the idea of attaching to the wall but do it after it has all the books in it and there will be no need for elongated holes .. just screw it, even if it's not as filled as it will be. To be forthcoming, I would prefer cutting the carpet away and having the flat bottom set on the hard floor but, it occurred to me there may be very good reasons why you may not want to cut the carpet such as, you may not want it to be a permanent fixture.

I suppose you could just remove the tack strip and leave the carpet. Sounds like the bookcase will be heavy enough to keep the carpet from moving. You can always replace the strip.

Can you install a plinth under the case?

If so notch it to clear the tack strip and fasten the case to the wall once it has books in it....................Rod.

Blog Entries
    Most furniture such as large heavy bookcases loaded with books tend to stay in one location for years and years. I would suggest removing the carpet and tack strip under the footprint of the book case. Otherwise in two years when the carpet gets replaced you will either have to cut the carpet or totally clean out and move the book case to install new carpet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the replies and help, everyone. I think I'll go with a (removable) plinth underneath. Carpet is fairly old, but it's not being replaced anytime soon!