Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Tablesaw Fence Rails?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Good to know.

FWIW, it appears this project is on hold. The old G1023's fence system is pretty unique in a number of ways, and one of those appear to be the size of the rails. They're pretty darned close to 1 7/8" which is not a normal size of steel stock. I suspect that the manufacturer bought the stock at 2", and then ground off 1/16" from each side to ensure it was flat, but who knows. Anyway, it's off enough that 2" won't go in, and 1 3/4" is too loose. At least I had the foresight to bring the fence along with me to check the fit before buying $120 of non-returnable steel.
    My original Beis had a 30" rip capacity. It was too small most of the time. I shifted the tube once set of screws to the right and got 40" of rip which was enough most of the time. Zero cost option ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2. Thanks everybody. This is a big help. I think I'm going w/ the 30" fence.

Accuracy of mounting the rectangular tube to front angle is adjustable on every Bies clone I’ve seen, drill and tap the rectangular tube for 1/4 20 (thicker tubing gives more metal for threads) and then make the corresponding holes in L front rail oversized to 5/16 or so.

when you mount tube to front rail you have a little wiggle room to line it up.

as for mounting the tap, every bies I have seen or built had an adjustable cursor.

I painted the rails, and yes paint does come off due to wear.

duke