Thread: primer for white lacquer?

primer for white lacquer?

I am new to spray finishing and now want to try white lacquer on some drawers I am building for an existing cabinet. Do I need a primer for this or just go straight with the white lacquer?

What does the technical data sheet for the white lacquer say about primer? That's where to find the answer. Question your choice of lacquer if no techniocal data sheet is available--it's an indicator of quality.

I agree with Steve...it's all about what specific finishing product you are using for both the question about the need for a primer as well as what is the correct product to use. "Lacquer" is a generic term until it's been defined as a specific product from a specific manufacturer. "In general" you want to use the recommended products from the same manufacturer, especially if this is a solvent based product you are proposing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    What does the technical data sheet for the white lacquer say about primer? That's where to find the answer. Question your choice of lacquer if no techniocal data sheet is available--it's an indicator of quality.
    I have not purchased it yet, but will do so tomorrow. I will ask the guy at the sales counter.