Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non slip surface for step stool

Non slip surface for step stool

I am building a step stool for my 2 year old daughter and she loves to wear slippery socks. I’ve been trying to think of what I can do to the step surface so she doesn’t go sliding right off of it. Anyone have a good solution?

Painted or varnishes surface?

I believe there is a non-slip wax of some kind. Read about it and while being counterintuitive it might work. Never tried it myself.

If it is a painted surface, you can get a very fine powder to add to paint that makes a very good non slip surface. Paint the surface with this stuff in the paint. Works well.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 02-26-2019 at 8:33 AM. Reason: typo
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I used to create a non-slip surface on windsurfers by rolling a thin layer of two-pack epoxy (must be rolled on, and as thin as possible), and then sprinkling castor sugar (this is very, very fine sugar used in baking) over the top (it is important to spinkle it through a sieve and not throw clumps onto the surface. This creates an even layer). Once dry, brush the residue away. Then hose it down. The water will wash away the fine sugar and leave a patterned effect in the thin epoxy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek- that is an amazingly creative idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    There's self-adhesive tread tape that you could use.
    +1

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-...35NA/100132176

Easy answer - go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a spray can of Rustoleum Anti-Slip. This is a clear product. A typical use is over slippery bathroom tiles.
    Test it on a sample with your topcoat finish of choice to make sure there are no compatibility problems. I'm not expecting there will be any.

Creative answer - what Derek described!

download.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Easy answer - go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a spray can of Rustoleum Anti-Slip. This is a clear product. A typical use is over slippery bathroom tiles.
    Test it on a sample with your topcoat finish of choice to make sure there are no compatibility problems. I'm not expecting there will be any.

Creative answer - what Derek described!
    I've used this & it works well. It leaves a matte finish that has a very fine texture to it. The surface is not like sandpaper, but does have a slightly gritty feel. And as mentioned, is clear so it blends in easily with either a wood finish or paint.

Cork. Either from an automotive/industrial supplier for making gaskets or flooring places that have unfinished cork for floors.

A few years back I used some fine grit powder sold in the paint department. You mix it with the final coat of finish, worked well.

Robert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    If it is a painted surface, you can get a very fine powder to add to paint that makes a very good non slip surface. Paint the surface with this stuff in the paint. Works well.

Bill
    It works well with varnish type finishes as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Skateboard grip tape might work as well.

Yup, skateboard shop if you have one nearby.... OR, most Old School Hardware stores have a 3M display of sold by the foot rolls of diff widths grip tape.. like for stair treads etc.

Razor cut to size from backside.

This stuff grips WAY better than any spray on or sand sprinkle method.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Easy answer - go to Home Depot or Walmart and get a spray can of Rustoleum Anti-Slip. This is a clear product.
    download.jpg

Yes, this! I used this on the steps of a ladder for a bunkbed project. You can apply it on top of the protective finish coat, or just before that final step. Just be sure to mask off the areas that you don't want to cover.

Put a coat of clear varnish, etc on it.... while still wet, sprinkle it with a handful of sand... easy, simple, cheap and it works...

I too needed to have a non-skid surface on a step stool, so in addition to using one of the roughing additives in the finish (shellac) I put a series of grooves in the steps with a cove bit, on the router table. It was more work that the grip tape stuff, but it was to go in our bedroom and the tape got vetoed due to appearance.

I felt like the grooves gave a very sure feel to the surface, but the slip worry was for my dog, who refused to even go near the thing.

Just another idea.

Ken