Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Repairing a Tote

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Jim, From my memory back when I routinely did these repairs, I think you follow the best practices.

It could be photo angle, but does the repaired tote lean further forward and block the forward screw.

I tried to compare with one of my home made (based on a Stanley No. 5) totes, but my photo shows almost identical.
    Thanks for the kind words Kevin.

The tote doesn't seem to lean any more than others. Here are a couple of totes from about the same time on some #5s:

#5 Totes.jpg

Here is a comparison between type 6 & type 11 totes:

T6 & T11 totes.jpg

The type 6 is more stout near the base seems to lean forward a bit more. The screw seems to be obstructed pretty much the same by any of them.

The tote from the original post in this thread came up a hair short. A washer was installed under the top nut. One of my tote repairs came out a touch longer. This can happen when one cuts away wood and replaces it with a shim.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    IMG_0750.jpg

Jim, I repaired the tote on this #4 Bailey with a Hock Iron and two piece Breaker.
    It came with a broken tote with missing pieces. I did not have the proper tote wood so I used curly maple.
    With the Hock iron, it will produce translucent shavings. I have a hand plane with a racing stripe. The plane
    has good mass.

A side light,while I was posting this, I heard the mail man and went to get the mail. I was pre-selected for a auto loan for $5,000 to $ 39,000.
    I cant wait to go talk to them
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-19-2019 at 2:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    I went back to the shop and found my 604, 605, and 607 Bedrock planes needed attention.
    All of them have a fresh coat of Johnson's wax. I'm glad this string came up and reminded me.
    Galveston County Texas is humid and garage shops allow rust to form.
    I will be spending more time out there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    IMG_0750.jpg

Jim, I repaired the tote on this #4 Bailey with a Hock Iron and two piece Breaker.
    It came with a broken tote with missing pieces. I did not have the proper tote wood so I used curly maple.
    With the Hock iron, it will produce translucent shavings. I have a hand plane with a racing stripe. The plane
    has good mass.

A side light,while I was posting this, I heard the mail man and went to get the mail. I was pre-selected for a auto loan for $5,000 to $ 39,000.
    I cant wait to go talk to them
    That looks great Lowell.

Postal workers call junk mail Jobs Mail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, Jim.

I've successfully clamped reglued totes using one of those quick-grip clamps like this:
    8258340b-c582-4348-9dd9-4cc14439126b_1.25618707bdd8f1c03ceea81ad1a18902.jpg
    with the soft rubbery facing on the clamp jaws. The flex in the jaws and the stiction of the rubbery facing absorb the difference in angles between the bottom and the top of the tote.

Blog Entries
    I was back in the shop awhile ago and ran into my Rockler "Odd Job".
    https://www.garrettwade.com/historic...MaAqu4EALw_wcB

Mine is a 6". It has not been used much, but I am glad I have it.