Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Push block pad material?

Push block pad material?

Tried using Search but no luck.
    I have some push blocks - the type with a handle on top - that the soft pad material has gotten hard and slippery. Any bright ideas of material to use as a replacement for the pad?
    I have a couple Grr-Grippers but like using the simple hand blocks for router and jointer uses.
    Thanks! Pete

Lee Valley sells something they call H.F. Sheets.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...,43465&p=67844

It's not as grippy as the GRrripper, but I've used it on a couple of push sticks/blocks and it works. As usual, wipe the sawdust off occasionally.

How about sandpaper?

I use sandpaper or non slip rug pads.

Well I just knew that a dumb question would get me obvious answers I totally overlooked!!
    Thanks guys for the tips. Sandpaper with a glue backing should work. I do like the softer type pad though. Will check out the LV product.

Blog Entries
    I've heard that computer mouse pads work. Pretty cheap to obtain.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but....A tip I saw that has worked well for me is to use a mending plate like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...MP36/100374920 screwed to the bottom of the push block instead of the soft grippy stuff, which often, at least for me, didn't grip well enough. Especially on the jointer, so I'd end up pushing down really hard to get a grip, which interfered with the jointing process. The sharp little tips on these things work great for engaging the wood.

Ken

I agree about mending plate. Have them on my jointer push blocks. Works perfect.

What is it Phil or John that came up with that?

Fine Woodworking staff once suggested using rubber grout or concrete floats. I don't have personal experience using them, but the way they feel it's likely they would work better than most push blocks made for use on jointers or saws. They might be a bit big for smaller pieces of wood.

If you use hot glue in your shop, just squeeze a bead of hot glue on the bottom of your push pad or push stick and quickly smear it with a piece of scrap and let it cool. Instant grip. When it stops gripping after a while, do it again, the new glue will melt the old and it will become grippy again.

I second Randy's mention of grout floats. The ones with red rubber are excellent.

I use these for the jointer and they work great; they do not slip at all: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can buy wet-suit material with a peel-and-stick backing.

For the mending plate - wouldn’t this cause denting of the wood? Not a fan of having steel plate near any type of cutter. Am I missing something? Yea it sure would have incredible grip!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    For the mending plate - wouldn’t this cause denting of the wood? Not a fan of having steel plate near any type of cutter. Am I missing something? Yea it sure would have incredible grip!
    +1
    Unless the use of the steel plate is on rough lumber (jointer), who in the world would want to scratch their dressed stock like that in a router use? Why not use nails if grip is the ultimate goal?!!!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 02-26-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Fine Woodworking staff once suggested using rubber grout or concrete floats...
    Based on that article, I bought one of these, Roberts 10062 Rubber Grout Float, 9 x 4:

That particular model is not very sticky, so I can't recommend it. I use it for the the leading edge when jointing, where the pressure is down instead of forward, and use a Gripper with the hooks on the back end of the board.

I'm sure there are some stickier grout floats.
    Mark McFarlane