Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the next technology to be incorporated in the SawStop - Kickback Killer?

Is this the next technology to be incorporated in the SawStop - Kickback Killer?

I just came across this video from SmarterEveryDay incorporating circular saw anti-kickback technology. Will this be the next evolution for SawStop or other cabinet saws? I still haven't embraced the current technology with my newly purchased ICS, thinking it was a mistake replacing my perfectly workable, 20 year old cabinet saw.

I'm all for safety. But I noticed that the blade guard (shroud?) was removed from that saw. I now that was for testing and it wouldn't have prevented kickback but it should have closed over the blade protecting the user. Or am I missing something?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I have to agree, those two guys look like clowns. That little stunt of disabling the guard, inducing a kickback and then letting the thrashing, still-running saw dig into anything it could touch as it swung around on its chain, could have gotten somebody seriously hurt. Ever seen what happens when a circular saw blade breaks while spinning?

They might have "used science," but perhaps they should have used some common sense – or maybe a new blade – after smashing one blade into the work in an uncontrolled fashion. I'm guessing it was slightly bent after that episode.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the whole video – I got so annoyed and impatient after 2 minutes that I turned it off – so I don't know what they came up with, but inertial brakes have been around for a long time. $100 Chicom chainsaws have them...
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 02-26-2019 at 6:43 AM.

I am all for anything that is going to protect my "Gonad-ular region"

Blog Entries
    Geesh, you guys are a tough crowd. If you watch the entire video, you will see how well the system appears to work. I thought it was an interesting combination of tech and humor. Not sure that dynamic braking will do the trick though. Obviously SS uses technology much quicker than dynamic braking.

As far as the blade guard working, you have likely never seen a construction crew using circ saws, they frequently completely disable the guard with a wood wedge to hold it in the open position.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I agree that the guys spent way too much time trying to look all flashy. But the technology they've developed is ingenious & seem solid. And it's something that once in mass production wouldn't be very expensive to incorporate. I hope they succeed with this.

They probably could have done a little better job with face shields, but if you're trying to demonstrate your kickback-detecting automatic brake, how else would you do it but remove the safety shield? It's a demonstration video, not a how-to video. He's clearly run this test about a thousand times and knows how to run the test safely.

Also, this wouldn't work in a table saw- it's detecting the inertia of the saw body moving under a kickback event.

Cool tech. Not for saw-stop though, but perfect for handheld application. It senses out of ordinary movement of the saw itself. In the case of a stationary saw there is nothing out of ordinary during the kickback event from the perspective of the saw.
    One could use similar principles and some sort of camera/sensor combination to look for extraordinary movement while wood is being pushed across the blade and the stop the blade to limit how much kickback there is. I guess also looking at some sort of blade deflection due to too much pressure from a wood could work, but probably harder to detect anomalies than in a case of a handheld saw suddenly climbing the material.

As said already, not for stationary machines. As it wouldn't be a high cost item to add to a circular saw it shouldn't drive the cost up a lot so shouldn't be too objectionable, especially if you can buy models without. There are times when blade guards are wedged open and even just held open for a plunge cut where it would be effective. It also would have application on other tools like electric chainsaws, big drills to stop them from twisting your wrist if the bit jambs perhaps even angle grinders. Everyone seems very willing to accept new tools that do a better job and make life easy like a Domino but suggest a safety device and the pitch forks and torches come out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    As far as the blade guard working, you have likely never seen a construction crew using circ saws, they frequently completely disable the guard with a wood wedge to hold it in the open position.
    If they did that on my job site they would be asked to leave. Disabling a guard is very dangerous, no matter what skill level you have. The next guy to pick it up may not know the guard is disabled nor may he have the same level of skill.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If they did that on my job site they would be asked to leave. Disabling a guard is very dangerous, no matter what skill level you have. The next guy to pick it up may not know the guard is disabled nor may he have the same level of skill.
    Not just asked to leave, but with many contractors told never to show up on one of their sites again. Another one is cords with the ground prong missing. Lots of site safety guys carry a pair of cutters around with them, so if they see such a cord, the end gets cut off right then.

You guys are a tough crowd.

Thanks for posting the video. They are working on a tech that will keep saws safer, while you guys nag about their test rig.

I always enjoyed Destin's videos, especially the much earlier one on a cross handled bicycle and the another interviewing President Obama. This video is the first attempt at commercializing an idea other than the videos themselves. Although I appreciate the ideas behind the technology the attempts to put us in a safety bubble bothers me for some unknown reason. The approach to safety in this video makes sense as an alternative to technological gadgets.

Last edited by Steve Mathews; 02-27-2019 at 9:57 AM.

Great video Steve.

As with my guns, the best safety is the one between your ears. I'm all for safety measures but I've seen them fail as we begin to rely to much on our equipment instead of our brain. If it doesn't "feel" safe then don't do it instead of relying on software or equipment to protect you.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I guess... I feel like if they just started putting riving knives in these saws like they do in many track saws the problem would be handled. I like that idea a lot more than putting a bunch of electronics in a saw that can fail and render the saw useless.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!