Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coreldrawx5 illigal copy

Unfortunately software is part of the cost of doing business. Like others have said, it's not that expensive to get a new copy when you consider it lasts for years. A few bucks a month. Well worth it in my opinion. The RIP software for our wide format printer was close to $5,000 and costs about $1,100 a year to stay "current". I look at CorelDraw and the Adobe Create Suite as reasonable.

I bought a copy of Windows 7 Pro from a local guy. Thing was brand new in the box, sealed up tight with the hologram on it. I installed it and it wouldn't work. They said it was an unauthorized version, apparently sold in bulk to institutions and not for resale. I filled out a report with Microsoft for illegal software and they actually sent me a brand new copy of it for free. In return, I sent them the package I had bought and all the details of where I bought it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Unfortunately software is part of the cost of doing business. Like others have said, it's not that expensive to get a new copy when you consider it lasts for years. A few bucks a month. Well worth it in my opinion. The RIP software for our wide format printer was close to $5,000 and costs about $1,100 a year to stay "current". I look at CorelDraw and the Adobe Create Suite as reasonable.

I bought a copy of Windows 7 Pro from a local guy. Thing was brand new in the box, sealed up tight with the hologram on it. I installed it and it wouldn't work. They said it was an unauthorized version, apparently sold in bulk to institutions and not for resale. I filled out a report with Microsoft for illegal software and they actually sent me a brand new copy of it for free. In return, I sent them the package I had bought and all the details of where I bought it.
    Why would you pay to get a new copy if the first one was real and it works for what you needed it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Why would you pay to get a new copy if the first one was real and it works for what you needed it to.
    Because I'm running a business and the time it takes me to go through all that costs me far more than the update did. Time is money. You want to spend hours on the phone and writing emails and troubleshooting, knock yourself out. We get $100 per hour for our shop rate so if it cost me more than 3 hours or time/frustration then I'm losing money.
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Because I'm running a business and the time it takes me to go through all that costs me far more than the update did. Time is money. You want to spend hours on the phone and writing emails and troubleshooting, knock yourself out. We get $100 per hour for our shop rate so if it cost me more than 3 hours or time/frustration then I'm losing money.
    You are assuming that Corel won't do that to the new one you just bought.

You are assuming that Corel won't do that to the new one you just bought.
    I think it's pretty safe to assume if you buy it directly from Corel that you aren't going to have any issues with the license. Far better odds with that than eBay from a non-authorized reseller. Like I said, it's your time and your money, do with both how you please, but for me, I don't have hours to figure it out. If I had no work (and no pay) then I'd probably take the time to fight with them because it wouldn't be costing me anything but when work is here, it's a fool's errand to try and fight it. Just my opinion.

I think it's pretty safe to assume if you buy it directly from Corel that you aren't going to have any issues with the license. Far better odds with that than eBay from a non-authorized reseller. Like I said, it's your time and your money, do with both how you please, but for me, I don't have hours to figure it out. If I had no work (and no pay) then I'd probably take the time to fight with them because it wouldn't be costing me anything but when work is here, it's a fool's errand to try and fight it. Just my opinion.
    Did you read my post I bought from Corel and the locked down my software.

Did you read my post I bought from Corel and the locked down my software.
    Wasn't referring to your situation. The OP said they'd abandon the entire software package before paying them any more money. Just seems short sighted to me. You can stand on principle all day but if that principle ends up costing you more money in time then it may not have been the best choice.

If I bought it directly from Corel, then I'd make a quick call, ask to speak to a supervisor and explain the situation. Like I said, time is money. You can pay for the new version or spend hours trying to resolve it. Your choice. If I had to spend much time on it, I'd just upgrade and get back to work, but like I said, that's me.