Thread: side-hung sliding tv mount

side-hung sliding tv mount

A client wants to mount a tv on a swinging bracket that slides out from one side of a box. For the mock-up I used a pair of Richelieu 100 lb full extension slides mounted one above the other, The mocked up tv panel twists when extended due to the slide construction. I am considering a pair of Accuride 9301's. I have used them before, but not in this configuration. Any opinions on their suitability or alternate suggestions?

Not sure I'm visualizing how you mounted the guides .... TV on a swing-out mounting arm, the arm attached to a sub-panel, the sub-panel sliding on a drawer guide (pair), guides mounted inside a box??

1. If you have the guides mounted per the manufacturer and they are rated for the TV's weight plus some safety margin, it should work...??? I'd probably try to use the over-travel versions, just to get the TV out a couple of inches from the 'shadow' of the box(?).

If guides do sag/twist in spite of proper rating, or over-rating, then perhaps some type of swivel - centered behind the TV - to allow for user to correct. Awkward, but....

2. Maybe mount the TV conventionally on the swing bracket, which is itself fastened to the wall. Then mount a cover/box on slides and slide the box out of the way. Pull the TV out to desired depth and viewing angle.

3. If budget allows/warrants, look at your own HONKIN' build of a slide using linear bearings and guide rods.

Just cuz' of the long Off-Topic discussion on engineering titles, we'll make you an engineer.

The farther apart you can mount the guides (assumed to be vertical spacing), the higher the moment of inertia will be ==>> stronger 'beam' ==>> less sag/twist.

Edit - I think just got my head around how you mounted these. At first I thought maybe you had built a sliding tray, and then stood it on its side (what would be a cabinet top now parallel to the wall) - and so the slides would be 90* removed from their normal orientation, i.e. flat.

Now thinking you have them oriented as designed (vertically), but the TV is applying too much torque when extended. If so, try one slide in it's normal vertical orientation to support the vertical load of the TV/mount/etc. Then install the other, again with as much spacing as practical, but install it flat. It now is oriented to resist the torque applied by TV when its mount is extended....???

Hope this is clear; don't have SketchUp handy - sorry.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 02-25-2019 at 6:31 PM.

Malcolm,

You have the general idea. The client wants the tv on its arm to slide out through an inset door within a larger door, rather like a cuckoo clock. The slides are mounted in normal orientation but one atop the other. I have mounted them as far apart as possible, but there is enough play in the mechanism to twist the extended tv out of level. I may turn one slide on edge as you suggest but it would be simpler to use a heavier set. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a particular slide for this setup. Thanks.

There are pocket cabinet door mechanisms that are designed to handle some twisting load (the weight of a closed cabinet door). Whether they are strong enough to hold a television without twist or otherwise practical for your need, I don't quite know.
    Chuck Taylor

I followed Malcolm's suggestion and turned the upper slide on edge, which did the trick. The slide are standard side mount 100# ball bearing units, the tv is a small ((14"x22") flat screen.

Glad it was a quick and easy solution.
    Chuck Taylor