Thread: Loft Ladder Design Opinions?

Loft Ladder Design Opinions?

Building a Sapele loft ladder. Stock is 6/4, 8" wide, and 14' long....comes skip planed to reveal the grain and 1 "semi-sq" edge. Price is excellent and stunningly beautiful. Challenge is ladder must be 12'....I have a TS and jointer, but not have enough space in my shop for 12' materials. Unfortunately, the yard has no machines so they can't help.

Design is ships ladder of sort with built in oval grips along its length - grips machined with a forstner bit/jig saw/roundover...dados to be used to attach treads. My goal is no mechanical fasteners.

Options
    1...Find a shop to machine the rails sq/flat and leave the side rails on 12' length.
    2...Try to get rails sq/flat with hand tools, but I highly doubt I have the skills.
    3...Cut to rails to 6' lengths, machine and use joinery....possible lap joint

Everything points to option 3 to me, but not sure. If I placed the joint in the "riser" area between the treads, which will also be glued, will a joint be strong enough in the end? What do ya'll think?

This is about what I'm going to build:
    Loft Ladder.jpg
    Last edited by fred everett; 02-25-2019 at 5:45 PM. Reason: Add photo
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

I think I'd try for option 1 first. Best to make the rails for the ladder in one piece. Then find somewhere you can finish machining them to add the hand holds and assemble the ladder if your shop doesn't have 12' of space for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I think I'd try for option 1 first. Best to make the rails for the ladder in one piece. Then find somewhere you can finish machining them to add the hand holds and assemble the ladder if your shop doesn't have 12' of space for them.
    Thanks Dave. Unfortunately, after many calls nada shop near me.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

So what did you do? I'm about to launch the same project. I think I can find room in my garage for it.