Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my drill press finished?

The chuck does expand when it is heated and when put on the taper, it cools and shrinks and tightens around the taper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    After cleaning the taper on the arbor and inside the chuck, press it on by hand, then run the jaws all the way open. Place a block of wood on the table and pull the chuck down against the block of wood with hard pressure. It should should stay on. I would veto the epoxy idea.
    Lee
    What do you see as a problem with the epoxy idea? So far it's working. Note that this is only an inexpensive drillpress, the whole thing can be replaced for about $60
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I would have guessed just the opposite, in that when it cools down, it would loosen up as heat should expand the chuck a bit in size.
    There are usually two tapered sockets, one on the chuck itself and a different one on the drill press spindle. The arbor is usually tapered on both ends (at least it is on both of my drill presses) Wat to heat (or freeze) depends on which connection came loose.

Make sure there are no scratches, corrosion, nicks, oil, etc. on the arbor. I degrease with brake cleaner.

Try not to drill unless it is very tight. If the chuck or arbor spins the surface can be galled and will need to be repaired.

I either tap the chuck/arbor in with a mallet or hammer, better, press the chuck against a block of wood.

Dennis, a potential problem with epoxy or another glue is the thin layer of adhesive could increase the runout and decrease the precision of the drill press. But I have no idea how precise that drill phress is when new. Could get lucky and improve it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    So after I pressed the chuck back on it was fine for a few days but eventually fell off again. I decided I'd just buy a new drill press. Before I went for the new drill press I put some epoxy on the old chuck and stuck it on, never expecting it to hold. I went and got the new drill press and when I got home I tried the old epoxied drill press again and it worked fine. I kept the new press in the box for a while fully expecting the chuck to fall off but it didn't so I returned the new drill press
    And apparently you don't believe what you were told.
    Bare metal, and press it on hard. No epoxy.
    Good luck.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    And apparently you don't believe what you were told.
    Bare metal, and press it on hard. No epoxy.
    Good luck.
    It's not that I don't believe what I'm told, I did exactly that and it fell off again, that's when I tried the epoxy.
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Lee
    What do you see as a problem with the epoxy idea? So far it's working. Note that this is only an inexpensive drillpress, the whole thing can be replaced for about $60
    You may never get it off with the epoxy, or if it does come off again you will not get it back on. Epoxy shouldn't be necessary if both halves are clean.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute