Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer A3-41 on the way - moving it up steep driveway

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm a huge fan of hiring roll back wreckers for handling woodworking machinery. They can pick it up at the local freight dock and slide it down right at your door. Cost me $100 to move a massive architectural lathe. Have a pallet jack sitting at the end of the bed and when the machine slides down, it's on wheels. A big advantage is you can plan the delivery much closer than the usual 4 hour window a trucking company lies about meeting.
    Agree...sorry I didn't mention that previously. That's what I did for my CNC machine...off the back of the semi onto the roll-back and then right up to the shop doors. $100.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

All terrain forklift would do it.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Remember they are pretty top heavy so if you pull it up with a pallet jack it may be a tipping hazard. I picked my 31 up with my pickup, backed it up the driveway and built a ramp. These machines are a pain to move, instructions say DO NOT LIFT BY SURFACE. That makes getting them off truck or pallet very hard without a fork lift.

I picked up mine with a trailer, unhooked the trailer, tipped it backwards and slid the machine off on the pallet. I just tipped it off the pallet onto the floor and it seems to have survived the experience OK. Building ramps and stuff was going to take too long and the same method had worked for the K3 slider I bought.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I like the idea of anchoring a winch into the concrete foundation, but I would simply worry about something giving way and damaging the machine on the way up. Just not worth the anxiety for me. Flat driveway, no problem. I also considered an all-terrain forklift or telescopic handler but I just don't have the confidence or experience on that kind of grade. Love the roll-back wrecker truck! I'd have to back in up the hill and would only be able to pull about a 3rd of the way in to leave enough room for the bed to come down and for the machine. So the truck would be facing downward at a steep angle - not flat - can a roll-back bed like that compensate for such an angle?

Looking at the responses the most consistent suggestion is for the rigging crew. I've muscled all my other equipment up the driveway with the help of friends so I think I'll look at the cost as being spread out over all my tools - at least maybe it won't seem so bad. In any case, with a beautiful expensive (for me, at least) machine like this I'm happy to spend a little more for some peace of mind. Plus I'll be saving a lot of time I'd have to spend otherwise installing anchors or finding a wrecker to rent.. With that extra time I can mill more lumber on my new machine. I am looking forward to simply watching for the 4 minutes it's going to take a professional crew to do this job. Plus they will help me get it off the pallet and get the mobility kit installed.

As an aside, I am giving my 6" jointer to my nephew - he just moved into his first house and is setting up his wood shop.
    By the way, anyone know what kind of plug this machine comes with? Or perhaps none at all and I need to install one.

Scott

Hi, probably a good decision.

It won't have a plug, if it's like the one we sell in Canada it will only have a very short whip.

I normally remove that whip and install a piece of 12/3 with a 6-20P.

Check the info that comes with the machine, electrical requirements may be different than the Canadian model..........Rod.

Two concerns I'd have.

With that thing on wheels going up your driveway, it could get away from you and go down fast, maybe even if not on wheels it could slide down. Or it could tip over. (view the video provided by Yathin)

Not all professionals are equal. If they send the second team for this small job, if they don't have the right equipment, if they decide they can't handle it when they show up, if they just don't show up, lots of things could go wrong. An industrial equipment mover may just send two guys and a fork truck. That won't work. The fork truck will not handle the hill and it will wreck your driveway, as will a pallet jack. A Lull would be good. Or try to get someone who moves pianos. They will be experienced in moving delicate top heavy things onto houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    All terrain forklift would do it.

Never having operated a forklift I am concerned about backing down a 30% grade unloaded. From the little research I did it seems as though this could cause the lift to tip over. I would not be able to turn it around once I unloaded the machine. Perhaps this is just anti-liability nonsense. On the other hand I am not purchasing nearly $10,000 in equipment to save money. If it it costs another $1000 for a pro to move it and save me from any worry at the end of the day it's probably worth it.