Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to turn something that has about 12% moisture content.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    After 1 hour in the oven at 220° it split pretty good. ...
    Look up the kiln drying temperatures for pine. For that thick and that moisture your oven "kiln" is about 100-deg F too hot.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-26-2019 at 8:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Ted, I agree with everything you said. I followed directions I found online (you're supposed to believe all you read, right? lol) but I do think if I lowered to temp to about 140° and rotated the piece every 30 minutes or so I'd have better luck.

I do believe it was mentioned that concerns about PT lumber do stem from pre 2003/2004 chemicals used. Its not like I'm using a reclaimed railroad tie. I didnt notice any smells at all why it was in the oven. And I think once the legs are turned, sealed and finished there won't be a problem. I dont think there would be a problem if it was left natural after what I read. I'm not eating of it and no one or no animal will be chewing on it. Lifes too short to worry about this.

I'm going to try to dry another piece. And I'm just going to turn a piece and see what happens. And I do wear a respirator when working with this stuff.

I had a thought. Since these legs will not be straight, what if I were to lay out the pattern on the timber and then drill some holes where I know the piece will be cut back on the lathe. It seems like this would create areas within the timber for moisture to escape from the deeper areas. I could be completely off in my thought process.

4. I don't think that's a good idea. You'll just be creating pockets of end grain that can crack.

Maybe just give up and buy kiln dried 6x6. It's already dry.
    http://www.buildwithbmc.com/bmc/Lumb...ct-tabs-anchor

Ted, I agree with everything you said. I followed directions I found online (you're supposed to believe all you read, right? lol) but I do think if I lowered to temp to about 140° and rotated the piece every 30 minutes or so I'd have better luck.

I do believe it was mentioned that concerns about PT lumber do stem from pre 2003/2004 chemicals used. Its not like I'm using a reclaimed railroad tie. I didnt notice any smells at all why it was in the oven. And I think once the legs are turned, sealed and finished there won't be a problem. I dont think there would be a problem if it was left natural after what I read. I'm not eating of it and no one or no animal will be chewing on it. Lifes too short to worry about this.

I'm going to try to dry another piece. And I'm just going to turn a piece and see what happens. And I do wear a respirator when working with this stuff.
    I seriously doubt you have anything that can tell you the exact moisture content to the center of a 6x6. What did the center measure when you cut it open? Nearly all kiln drying starts at 90 degrees with stock that thick.

I gave up on the oven idea. The lowest my oven will go is 170° and that was still too hot. Since I'm in phoenix I should probably just leave the pieces in the back of my SUV. It gets nice and hot in there and it would act as a pine air freshener.

I think I'll try turning a leg to see what happens to it after. The coffee table is going to be solid black so I'm sure I can fill in any gaps. Or, do what you suggested... just buy a piece of dried timber.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Maybe just give up and buy kiln dried 6x6. It's already dry.
    http://www.buildwithbmc.com/bmc/Lumb...ct-tabs-anchor
    John, any idea of what one of those timbers would cost? Ball park figure. I know there isn't a store within 100 miles of me so that tells me shipping is going to be very high. And past experience tells me that when prices aren't listed on website is because the prices are very high. I might be able to find something local.

John, any idea of what one of those timbers would cost? Ball park figure. I know there isn't a store within 100 miles of me so that tells me shipping is going to be very high. And past experience tells me that when prices aren't listed on website is because the prices are very high. I might be able to find something local.
    I've never bought that size. BMC has a "Contact us" button but they may not operate in your state, it was just an example. A call to other suppliers and lumber yards that cater to builders rather than homeowners might be useful.

JKJ