Thread: Old aerosol paint cans

Blog Entries

Old aerosol paint cans

How should you get rid of them?

I like to toss a few in a big bon fire for a little bit of excitement.

Otherwise I throw everything in my dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post

And if you want to make a crude but fun vertical cannon, you can burn them in 55 gal. drum, aka burn barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post

Propane cylinders are fun too. I used to thrown them in a fire over the bank then shoot through them. Somehow I survived. Never tried spray paint cans.

But a better way to dispose of old spray paint cans might be to spray till empty on some cardboard or newspaper and let it dry. The "convenience" centers here won't take wet paint in a container, pressurized or not. But a few times a year there are hazardous chemical/material roundups in this area where you can dispose of (almost) anything - maybe there is one near Dickinson TX.

JKJ

Take them to the nearest household hazardous waste depot so the contents and the metal can be recycled....Rod

Blog Entries
    Once they are empty and the gas pressure is depleted, punch a hole in them to drain out any residual content and recycle.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Target practice. Got a pellet gun or 22?
    Recycle what's left of the can.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Drain them dry, then cut open and salvage the marble inside. Most contain a colored glass ball, which as a kid we called "flints."

Agree with Myk... we would throw or set them up on a quarry wall and use them for target practice... never any doubt if you hit one ....
    Then put them in a recycling bin...

Blog Entries
    I have decided to spray the contents on newspaper and let it dry and then put in the trash.

When we were younger, my brother and I would get used aerosol cans and lay them on a fence post and use them for target practice. A 22. in the bottom of the can would make them shoot off like a rocket. We lived in the country and manufactured our own fun.