Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Domino pull-apart strength in face to end grain butt joint

Blog Entries
    Add a board turned 90 degrees at the back of the sides and make one single center upright of 8/4 material with the tenons aligned along with the grain.

Even experienced people run into these kind of questions, in fact I think it makes a great discussion.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

The Domino makes designs like yours easy to make with sound, strong joints. Isn't that the genius if the Domino? It just makes making unique designs easy.

Blog Entries
    It's a tenon, it should be planned like any other tenon in that you want face/long grain contact to be the major feature.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Add a board turned 90 degrees at the back of the sides and make one single center upright of 8/4 material with the tenons aligned along with the grain.

Even experienced people run into these kind of questions, in fact I think it makes a great discussion.

^ is the right idea if greater rigidity is needed; add one or more boards at 90. But I've seen a lot of MCM designs similar to the OP's. Most (all?) of those were constructed with doweled joints, often in 3/4" veneered plywood designs. A lot of those pieces are still around. I suspect the OP's design will be just fine.

About racking resistance of the joint. The depth of the joinery is only important if the connector fails in tension. In that case, a longer tenon, dowel, Domino, screw, etc. would have offered higher strength. The rigidity of the joint against racking, before failure, is more related to the surface area of the joint where the two members meet. Joints made with thicker, wider stock will have more racking resistance than those with thinner, narrower stock. Orientation of the joint members is key, too, which relates to Brian's recommendation. Orienting the members perpendicular to the racking forces reduces the stress the joint is subjected to. Sorry, I don't mean for this to sound preachy, just how I see it.

John