Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power feeder set up question on tablesaw

Power feeder set up question on tablesaw

I recently mounted a 4 wheel power feeder on my spare table saw to rip lumber. It's working great so far, but I am getting some burn on the off cut side of the boards.
    I assume it's because the feeder is pushing the material into the back side of the blade.
    I've tried to compensate for this by installing narrower wheels after the blade (positioned between blade and fence) to push the good cut out but not touch the off cut piece.
    Hope that made sense, I can try to post a picture if that helps.
    Anybody use a feeder on a table saw with no burn, or is that just the way it is?
    To be clear, the good piece comes out great, no burn marks (or blade marks).
    Thanks!

I use a feeder, try using a small amount of toe in against the fence, sounds to me that you have too much.....Rod

Suggest getting the saw set up properly with the fence parallel with the blade. Mis-alignment could be the cause of the burning you are experiencing.

Could be the fence.

Very few table saw fences are stout enough to handle a feeder unless locked at the rear. That becomes especially apparent as the last foot enters the blade. A clamped block on the rear of the fence helps a lot. Dave

I would guess there's some flex in your fence and the feeder's toe-in is pushing against it hard enough to cause the flex. Wouldn't affect the piece between the fence and blade, but would pull the edge of the offcut towards the teeth at the back of the blade.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

I'm with all the others in that your fence either is allowing too much flex or your feeder toe in is applying too much pressure against the fence. We run a 1hp 3 wheel feeder on a table saw and we toe the feeder as little as possible. It's a sketchy balance between too little and too much but you need far less toe in on a TS than you do with a shaper. Try plaing around with setting your feeder as close to straight as you can and still hold to the fence then kick it just a hair more. That works for us but you can still get some finicky boards that will fight you. If your fence doesnt lock on both ends and your ripping to standard width sty clamping the tip of the fence and see if it gets better.

What's the feed rate and tooth count of the blade?

It's a Freud glue line rip blade, 30 count.
    I've used speeds from 13 fpm to 28 fpm. (It's a variable speed)

Quote Originally Posted by David Koehler View Post
    It's a Freud glue line rip blade, 30 count.
    I've used speeds from 13 fpm to 28 fpm. (It's a variable speed)
    How many hp saw?

Martin, it's a 5hp Delta. By the way, even though I don't post much, I've lurked here for almost a year and I love the things you've done in your shop. Very impressive.
    From the gist of some of your posts, I think you aren't far from my parents; Stratford/Marshfield area.

My best setup for that was block the fence[Biesmeyer], slight toe in, center wheel over the center of the blade with the blade just barely cutting into the wheel. It does put a groove in the wheel, but that is a price I am willing to pay, its just a wheel. With the slight toe in you need to feed any bow to the fence or come up with a featherboard before the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by David Koehler View Post
    Martin, it's a 5hp Delta. By the way, even though I don't post much, I've lurked here for almost a year and I love the things you've done in your shop. Very impressive.
    From the gist of some of your posts, I think you aren't far from my parents; Stratford/Marshfield area.

A couple hours west.

With a 5hp saw and a 30 tooth blade, one of the first things I would say is 13fpm is way too slow. 28fpm is probably a touch slow. I'd assume the feeder you've got you can take the cover off and flip the gears to get more speeds out of it. I don't remember what those speeds are off hand, but I used to use a Delta three wheel on a 5hp tablesaw when I had massive amounts to rip. Softer woods like Poplar I could go full speed with the feeder if the blade was sharp. Harder woods, not so much. The saw was able, but it was just working it way too hard.

I'm betting the fence is part, if not most of the issue, but a slower than necessary feed rate isn't desirable either and will cause burning as well.

Sometimes things just bind too. I get burning occasionally with on the rip saw, there the fence isn't doing anything and it's feeding at 60fpm. Wood can bind when stress is relieved and pinch the blade.

Everything else I can think of has been pretty well covered.

We used a 3 wheel feeder on a saw for a while. You need a stout fence or block it For support. Ruined a Unifence and burned up a 3 hp motor ripping 8/4. Finally put it on the old Martin saw till we got a SLR. We took the center wheel off and that seemed to work well keeping the wheels centered over the blade.
    I think you can expect some burning. I never depend on a saw cut for my final finish.

Best fence style for feeders are the old pinned R&P style fences. The T square style fences are too flimsy for a feeder.