Thread: The Boys In The Boat Film

Blog Entries

The Boys In The Boat Film

Looking forward to seeing it. We might see it Christmas Day if the Christmas birthday boy wants to.

Best Regards, Maurice

Looks like it’ll be a good one Maurice!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    The book is way up there on our list of good books. It was one of the community wide book club's One Read project. A descendant of the Pocock family lives in our neighborhood. When the boat delivery rig is on its cross country run it parks nearby overnight. It is quite a sight!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The book is way up there on our list of good books.
    The story the author told was stunning. I don't know what the film will cover as far as Joe Rantz' earlty years, but the life he overcame as a youngster, the responsibilities and focus required, and what he had to accomplish just to be be alive and at UW is the allegory for the entire tale.

This story, and Mr Rantz' life, is Seabiscuit and Red Pollard with a boathouse, not a paddock.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    The story the author told was stunning. I don't know what the film will cover as far as Joe Rantz' earlty years, but the life he overcame as a youngster, the responsibilities and focus required, and what he had to accomplish just to be be alive and at UW is the allegory for the entire tale.

This story, and Mr Rantz' life, is Seabiscuit and Red Pollard with a boathouse, not a paddock.
    +1. I’m in the middle of reading it now. It’s a heckova story and is hard to put down.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I took Our copy of the book to our Christmas meet up. Our daughter dove right into it and enjoyed it. The part about Joe Rantz's love of the woods, hunting for, and making things from cedar is a terrific encore to an amazing life.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The film was worth seeing, and I recommend Netflix's "Race" about Jesse Owens '36 Olympic performances as a follow-up.