Thread: Shop Project – Dustopper

Shop Project – Dustopper

I love my Fein T3 vac but hate cleaning its filter. After reading about the Dustopper I decided to give it a try. I really like the compact design over the tall and tippy mini cyclones.
    I have been using the Dustopper for a few weeks now and it does a very good job of catching almost all of the dust & chips. Very little has made its way into my T3. My only complaint was moving the T3 and Dustopper around the shop. I decided to make a compact cart where both could live under the router wing of my table saw. The bucket lifts easily out of the carts holder rings for emptying and is rock solid in use.
    Other than buying an additional male/female elbow every thing else was made from materials I had on hand. I reused the T3’s small casters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

nicely done. Looks like the stinger needs some dust collection help

Nice job, Bruce. Can I borrow your CNC for a while?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    nicely done. Looks like the stinger needs some dust collection help
    Yeah, normally the DC does a pretty good job but the profile cuts in this piece were right on the edge.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice build! Very professional looking.

Where did you get the extra elbow? Annoyingly, HD doesn't sell one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Nice build! Very professional looking.

Where did you get the extra elbow? Annoyingly, HD doesn't sell one.
    Brian, I pulled the bristle assembly off of one of these from Lowes. Instant male/female elbow.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-1-...-Brush/1060273

Andy Rooney

How is the bucket holding up? Every bucket I tried with my CT/Dust Deputy setup collapses and eventually fails from the vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    How is the bucket holding up? Every bucket I tried with my CT/Dust Deputy setup collapses and eventually fails from the vacuum.
    No issues so far. A friend that runs a local restaurant gave me this bucket. It’s 7 or 8 gallons and seems a little more stout than the 5 gallon from HD. I will keep an eye on it, thanks.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Make a double-walled bucket - two stacked buckets won't collapse.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Nice. Good to have another source of feedback on the Dustopper. Planning to install at least one in the new shop. Thinking of a stationary unit under the sanding table with a small down-draft top either built-in or something I can place on top. The low profile is a big plus.

Haven't figured out how I am going to handle router table duties but am considering another setup similar to above for a stand-alone router table.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Make a double-walled bucket - two stacked buckets won't collapse.
    When I got my DD kit it included 2 buckets, I assume for this purpose. But I just use a single bucket & it's never showed any tendency to collapse.