Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain rain go away!

Rain rain go away!

I always wanted a pond [small lake] but I figured I would have to hire it done. Looks like Mother Nature is doing it on her own. This is my creek which is all Spring fed and usually just a couple of feet deep and 10-20' across.
    We have had an extremely wet Winter here in East Tennessee, the ground is saturated and won't hold anymore, everything now is run-off.
    The rain has subsided for now but the Weatherman is calling for thunderstorms tonight. Thank goodness our house is on top of the hill overlooking the Creek and the water has never risen this high.
    The water will subside in a day or so when the rains stop so we aren't overly concerned. Worse case scenario the water crosses the road and we'll be cut off. The pantry is full so we will make out ok.
    Looking forward to drier days though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's going to be a green spring. We had 4" snow last night, our 4th or 5th snow since Christmas. Very unusual for us.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Tuesday evening through Wednesday midnight we had 6.6" of snow with 4.25" coming on Wednesday which was a new record for that date. Now it's in the mid-30's and a lot of it is melting off. Our patio roof is bare now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You have a creek? My wife will be jealous, even if it's flooding.

We live on the top of a ridge - the water would have to be several hundred feet deep to reach from the nearest creek. But even on the top of this ridge there are low spots - this is in the little donkey's paddock behind the barn:

water_1.jpg

In North East Tennessee the rain has caused mudslides, closing a few roads and lots of flooding . Could be worse, in Minnesota ( where we moved from) has had 30" of snow in February.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    This is my creek which is all Spring fed and usually just a couple of feet deep and 10-20' across.
    A stupid question of no particular relevance...

How big does something have to be to be called a "river"?
    I would have thought anything you can put a canoe into is too big to be called a "creek".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee, it depends on where you grew up and where you are. It's a regional thing.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Lee, it depends on where you grew up and where you are. It's a regional thing.
    In some places it's called a crick.

John, did the donkey ask Santa for a swimming pool?

Guys, when you think you have a lot of snow to complain about this of this photo I took in 2011. Notice the guy has a crosscut saw sticking in the snow. He cuts a block of snow with the saw and then using the edge of his grain/coal shovel under the down hill edge breaks the block loose and leads it off the roof with the shovel.

Rev2.jpg
    Ken

Our lake is supposed to be maintained at a pretty constant level. There is a dam, and lake about every hundred feet of elevation on the Roanoke River. Docks, and boathouses are built on pilings, since the water is supposed to not fluctuate. There are no floating docks that I know of. They're letting water flow down the river as fast as they can, but it's not keeping up.

This morning, peoples' docks are under water just a little, but with high winds predicted for this afternoon, and the resultant waves generated, there will probably be a lot of damage to docks, boathouses, and bulkheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    A stupid question of no particular relevance...

How big does something have to be to be called a "river"?
    I would have thought anything you can put a canoe into is too big to be called a "creek".
    Around these here parts Springs run together to form Creeks, Creeks run together to form Rivers.
    During "normal" times my Creek is 10-20' across and the deepest part would be pushing 2'. Go 10 feet up or down stream and it might just be a couple of inches deep. You would spend more time portaging a canoe than floating lol.
    Of course right now you could certainly float a canoe or a pretty large boat.
    BTW, woke up this morning and the Sun was shining, according to the weatherman it should remain dry for the next several days. My "Creek" is still out of banks but the water has receded quite a bit and should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Ours will be running high for days to come. It takes a long time for it to stop running from the many thousands of square miles in the watershed upstream from here. All the lakes here were built for both flood control, and power generation. From the stories I've heard old ones tell, there used to be some pretty severe floods before the dams were built. Our lake is about 35 miles long, and covers something over 20,000 acres. The next one upstream is larger, but is not maintained at a constant level, so they can catch it pretty bad around that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Guys, when you think you have a lot of snow to complain about this of this photo I took in 2011. Notice the guy has a crosscut saw sticking in the snow. He cuts a block of snow with the saw and then using the edge of his grain/coal shovel under the down hill edge breaks the block loose and leads it off the roof with the shovel.

Rev2.jpg
    The ski area about 70 miles from us got 402" of snow this season so far. 221" in February alone. Their base depth is about 100" since it does not get warm enough to melt in the high country of California. Not that they get less snow then the higher altitude resorts at Tahoe.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-24-2019 at 1:14 PM.

This morning after my first outing to clear snow. Already had about 3 feet on the ground. Another foot or so overnight.

I've been out again since and will probably have to go out at least one more time. Wind is blowing 33 with gusts to 46. At least the temps will be dropping to below zero again.

If this doesn't quit soon, I'm gonna need a bigger snowblower.