Thread: Newbie clavichord build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie clavichord build

I recently retired and woodworking has always been something that I wanted to have more time for but I was unable to make time for it. My woodworking before the clavichord revolved around home renovation; building shelves, trim work, a mantle, a walk in pantry and a handful of typical projects like small boxes for gifts.

I am not a musician but, I did restring an upright piano once. I’m that guy. I do have a brother that is an accomplished musician and a composer. The composer brother is the recipient of the small wooden boxes. He uses them to store small music things. He thinks that because I can make a small box, I should be able to make a clavichord. I didn’t know what a clavichord was, but I am a sucker for a challenge. (That’s why I restrung the piano)

After doing some research, finding your forum, reading and rereading Phillip Allen’s thread, I decided to accept my brother’s challenge. The clavichord build is clearly more complex and exacting than anything I have previously attempted, but what I will learn along the way will define my success.

I told my brother I couldn’t make the unfretted clavichord he wants and that I needed to start smaller. Fretted: fewer keys, fewer strings, smaller and lighter. He gives up discordant notes and I get a more manageable project.

I chose the TD3 from the Friends of St Cecilia’s. The TD3 is triple-fretted, unsigned, undated but probably from Germany between 1690 and 1700.

As of this post, I have a good portion of the casework complete and am starting on the interior. Because I am a rookie I am susceptible to rookie mistakes. My first rookie mistake is I purchased the ½ scale drawing. (I wasn’t all in on the project when I ordered the drawing.) I have questions and I hope that some of you may be able to offer some thoughts so I can spend more time building and less time pondering.

I will post my progress photos and questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images