Thread: Grizzly Smoothing Plane

Grizzly Smoothing Plane

Anyone have this plane? https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ng-Plane/H8841

Is it worth 50$, its on sale this weekend.

Blog Entries
    Are you close enough to go give it a look?

Maybe take a small block of wood along with you to see how the blade cuts/adjusts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It's a jointer (Bailey #7) in the link, not a smoothing plane. Perhaps this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...lane-Set/H6243

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-23-2019 at 11:58 AM.

If you have $50 to spare and like to tinker and tune, it might be fun to give it a try. (I say that because sometimes I do stuff like that just for entertainment.) At 22", I wouldn't consider it really a smoother, it's closer to a Jointer. [Edit: I think Derek is probably right.]

Something to consider: if you're buying it because you really do need a functional tool, you might be on more predictable ground refurbing an old Stanley instead.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-23-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Jim,

Derek is more observant than me. My morning coffee has not yet been made.

If you are looking for a smoother the #7 is not in the ball park.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

From the comments, it looks like it may need some work with the iron/chipbreaker, and perhaps some tinkering with the frog to get it running properly. I would expect that anyway though at that price point.

If this is your first plane, it might be difficult for you to figure out what needs to be corrected.

ETA: They do have smoothers, including corrugated a corrugated sole smoother (they call it “serrated”).
    Last edited by Nicholas Lawrence; 02-23-2019 at 1:13 PM.

If you can hold it in hand take a square and straight edge with you

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Are you close enough to go give it a look?

Maybe take a small block of wood along with you to see how the blade cuts/adjusts.

jtk
    Im not. I have been looking for a Used older Stanley online, willing to pay $100-$125 for one, just didnt know how this would compare

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    It's a jointer (Bailey #7) in the link, not a smoothing plane. Perhaps this: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...lane-Set/H6243

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Jim,

Derek is more observant than me. My morning coffee has not yet been made.

If you are looking for a smoother the #7 is not in the ball park.

jtk
    Yes, the link is correct, but the title is not. I am looking for a jointer plane. For 50$ and a bit of work it seems it could be worth it.

Jim Bode will have #4's for less and will be safe to buy. For a couple more dollars, Bode may be able to sell you a #4 and a #5.

Blog Entries
    I have a Grizzly #5. It was my first plane and a gift from my wife as I had no expectations then. Really lucked out as it must have been a Wednesday plane because it worked just fine out of the box. Since, I became more familiar, I did some work on the frog and the chip breaker and that improved things greatly. Have since put a Hock blade and breaker in and now, it will pull off .001 shavings even though that isn't an expectation of a #5. It was worth the bit of work based on it's origin, but today, it's used as a jointer for small projects.

I've got far more expensive/quality planes now, but in comparison of use, the Griz holds its own.

Thanks, I am going to order it, I am hoping the ship a jointer plane, not a smoother!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Thanks, I am going to order it, I am hoping the ship a jointer plane, not a smoother!
    Please let us know how it works when you receive it.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    Im not. I have been looking for a Used older Stanley online, willing to pay $100-$125 for one, just didnt know how this would compare
    Judging by the photo the castings/walls are much thicker. If made from comparable iron, the Grizzly would be heavier, maybe much heavier.

I paid through the nose for my Stanley No. 7. The Grizzly is just over a quarter of the price, fwiw.

Please let us know how it works when you receive it.

jtk
    Will do, shipped yesterday, see when I get it and can play with it.