Thread: Bowl blank bandsaw

Bowl blank bandsaw

Hey all.
    What do you guys think of the Grizzly G0555X with 6” riser block as a bowl blank BS?
    What blade would you use?
    Thx
    Last edited by Gerry Monast; 02-23-2019 at 6:56 PM.

That's a typical 14" bandsaw. It's fine for general purpose cutting and will likely do what you want it to do with a blade that is the correct configuration and some patience with speed. Obviously, it's not going to have the power of a much larger machine that would benefit things when you are cutting larger material for your purpose. You can always use a chainsaw for that, anyway...there's no law that says a bowl blank has to be perfectly round before it goes on your lathe...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not enough horsepower for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a typical 14" bandsaw. It's fine for general purpose cutting and will likely do what you want it to do with a blade that is the correct configuration and some patience with speed. Obviously, it's not going to have the power of a much larger machine that would benefit things when you are cutting larger material for your purpose....
    Patience is a key.

Gerry, before I got a larger saw I cut a lot of large blanks on a 14" Delta with riser block. I used a 1/2"x3tpi blade. Yes, the motor is underpowered. No, that didn't stop me. I used it because I already had it. Yes, it slowed me down a little but I didn't know it until I got a more powerful saw. Sharp, sharp, sharp is a huge help. Proper tension is a huge help.

But, if buying a saw today with the intention of cutting bowl blanks I'd save up for a bigger and more powerful saw.

I agree with Jim that the blank doesn't need to be round. It is, however, easier and less traumatic, especially until a beginner gains experience.

JKJ