Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power feeder - 3 vs 4 wheels

Power feeder - 3 vs 4 wheels

Looking to get a co-matic feeder ordered and wondering if there is a reason to spend $100 more for the 4 wheel version versus the 3 wheel version. This is my first feeder so not sure of the benefits one way or the other. Thanks.

The 4 wheel feeder gives you 2 infeed rollers which can add stability.

They’re also larger and heavier than 3 wheel feeders which can be an issue when you have to flip it up.

I’m happy with the 3 wheel feeder I have......Rod

What machine is it for and if a shaper, how large is it? I like 4 wheel for large shapers but it is a lot for a small cast iron top to handle. Dave

A Felder KF500. Weird machine in that it has hammer internals and Felder x-roll slide. But it uses a flelder feeder bracket that both hangs on table edge and bolts to side, and includes gas shock assist for lifting rather than the hammer bolt on bracket. The manual shows the unit with a 3 roller Felder f38 feeder so not sure if a 4 roller is too big or heavy, or if the 3 roller is best.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 02-23-2019 at 4:18 AM.

I likely won't be buying a three wheel feeder ever again. I much prefer four wheel.

Used just a three wheel for years though. Unless something specialized, I don't think you gain much, but $100 isn't much nowadays anyways.

Any reason not to consider this given the price? Looks identical to the co-magic to me except color.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...r-Feeder/G0826

Comatic makes most of the rebadged feeders except for a few Steff made like Felder Whether all feeders made by Comatic are exactly alike is unknown. I know the Wegoma feeders sourced from Comatic have a better finish and the castings look cleaner. I don't know about the internals.

The 4 wheel is only about 15-20 lbs heavier than the 3 wheel and the gas strut compensates for it. I do like that the Felder support attaches to both the base and top as castings and steel tend to be thinner than in the past. Dave

Hi Greg, I have three feeders - two with three wheels, and one with four, and in my opinion $100 for a whole extra wheel is peanuts and money well spent.

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Hi Greg, I have three feeders - two with three wheels, and one with four, and in my opinion $100 for a whole extra wheel is peanuts and money well spent.

B
    true but the grizzly caught my attention since it’s $400+ cheaper on the sale and $500+ cheaper than the 4 wheel. Big chunk of money if same. No bargain if not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    true but the grizzly caught my attention since it’s $400+ cheaper on the sale and $500+ cheaper than the 4 wheel. Big chunk of money if same. No bargain if not as good.
    Understood, that makes it a bit more of a conundrum. Whichever way you go you'll be glad you have one!

Good luck,
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Blog Entries
    Given the choice when buying new, i would go with 4 wheel feeders. That said all my feeders are three wheel currently.

That is a really good price on a comatic dc30 from grizzly though.

Finally found the difference I think. The co-matic ones are the newer style with more power. 2/3hp vs 1/2hp. Not sure if that’s a big deal for hobby use like mine though.

Blog Entries
    Grizzly feeders are rebadged comatic

Still listed as 1/2 hp on the comatic site
    http://www.co-matic.com/en/product/PF-DC30
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 02-23-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Im another vote for the 4 wheel. The Grizzly offering is both wild, horribly scary, and mind blowing, all at the same time. Im not a fan but have the Comatic's with the smart stand and its a sweet setup but painful on the wallet. I would be scared to death to wind up with the "rebadged" and realize I'd roached $800 bucks but compared to 1150 Im sure it'd be tempting for some but I would personally never take the chance. As with everything there are always trade offs when you go that route and having a feeder that had any fussy factor or slippage, etc... would drive me nuts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Im another vote for the 4 wheel. The Grizzly offering is both wild, horribly scary, and mind blowing, all at the same time. Im not a fan but have the Comatic's with the smart stand and its a sweet setup but painful on the wallet. I would be scared to death to wind up with the "rebadged" and realize I'd roached $800 bucks but compared to 1150 Im sure it'd be tempting for some but I would personally never take the chance. As with everything there are always trade offs when you go that route and having a feeder that had any fussy factor or slippage, etc... would drive me nuts.
    Grizzly had them for $750 when they first started carrying them.

What is mind blowing about it? The dc40 is $1000 (usd) in the uk.. a rebadged comatic from grizzly is the same as rebadged comatic from powermatic...