Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power feeder - 3 vs 4 wheels

Blog Entries
    The comatic 3 wheel 1hp af34 is 134lbs, the af44 (4wheel 1 hp) is 145lbs

The dc40 is 117lbs per the spec sheet.. the only thing lighter is the af308 1/2 hp feeder at 99lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I guarantee you the first 20 jobs you run you'll be kicking yourself in the pants. Next 40.. wash rinse repeat. The western rollers are a good cheap upgrade. You can still wear out the stock rollers.
    The sets of thin wheels were $20 for 2. I might be able to call and cancel them if the consensus is they suck. That’s $40 saved.

Sure. I'd kill any add on wheels and order then from western I'd you need to. Make a point to tell shopgears that they should be offering western by default. They should order the feeders without rollers and install the western in the us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Sure. I'd kill any add on wheels and order then from western I'd you need to. Make a point to tell shopgears that they should be offering western by default. They should order the feeders without rollers and install the western in the us.
    Or just sell them without wheels.

I recently switched a couple of feeders over to blue tires. Keeping my eye on them for wear. The came with plastic wheels too. It's nice being able to run the tool up into the tie and wheel and get it as close as possible and not create any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Finally found the difference I think. The co-matic ones are the newer style with more power. 2/3hp vs 1/2hp. Not sure if that’s a big deal for hobby use like mine though.
    With the reduction ratio of a feeder, a 1/2 hp feeder will drag a truck out of a ditch...Rod

thanks Rod. I already ordered the 4 wheel version from co-matic. It claims to be the new version with 2/3rd hp but had grizzly had a 1/2 hp 4 wheel dc version I’d have gone that route to save funds. Don’t know if I’ll find the 4th wheel of real value but as mentioned I don’t want to do the multiple buy and purchase regret dance I’ve dont many times with this hobby. Trying to get it right first time as I’m moving forward with all of my shop upgrades this past year.

was reading an older thread about a longer arm being available for the feeder stand to use it with saw. Will call them first thing Monday to find out more before they ship mine. Also saw you mentioned using yours on your jointer and wondered how since you don’t have the full combo. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    With the reduction ratio of a feeder, a 1/2 hp feeder will drag a truck out of a ditch...Rod

Hi Greg, I turn the feeder so it’s off the back of the s/s and over the jointer......Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Greg, I turn the feeder so it’s off the back of the s/s and over the jointer......Rod
    Gottcha. I wasn’t able to put my J/P in that space with my new layout. Working on rerouting dust collection yet again but getting close to having it knocked out. I set the saw up so I can have 48” to right of blade and 96” to left of blade even though I only have the 32” fence setup.

Okay I go away for a moment, come back, and now you guys have me second guessing my ordering the DC40. LOL

As best I can tell it doesn’t weigh any more than the Felder F38 3 wheel unit due to the dc motor. However, I’ve never owned or used one of these and don’t know what I need or what to expect. Just don’t want to have to buy twice and don’t want to wish I had gotten a different one. The 4 wheel seemed to be most flexible but if I’m missing someth8ng here for usage on my KF500 please let me know while I can change my order possibly. Thanks.

and if I need to cancel the thin wheels I ordered let me know. Looks like you guys are saying the stock ones are not as good as another brand.
    Were you able to get a tiltaway bracket with an air shock and do you eat your Wheaties everyday? If you weren't able to get the airshock version of the bracket you won't need to go to gym for a workout you be getting one every time you want to use your DC40 power feeder. LOL. Most of these guys advising the 4 wheel have pro shops and fixed mount feeders that don't have to be lifted into place, just pivoted into place. Keep the split wheels for the few times you will actually use them, try the stock wheels which when new work fairly well until they don't then replace with yellow or blue. You got all the advice possible let us know how you make out when you are up and running.

Thanks. I did order the felder bracket with the air shock but it’s back ordered so I don’t have it yet.

will report back back once I have it all setup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kee View Post
    Were you able to get a tiltaway bracket with an air shock and do you eat your Wheaties everyday? If you weren't able to get the airshock version of the bracket you won't need to go to gym for a workout you be getting one every time you want to use your DC40 power feeder. LOL. Most of these guys advising the 4 wheel have pro shops and fixed mount feeders that don't have to be lifted into place, just pivoted into place. Keep the split wheels for the few times you will actually use them, try the stock wheels which when new work fairly well until they don't then replace with yellow or blue. You got all the advice possible let us know how you make out when you are up and running.

true but the grizzly caught my attention since it’s $400+ cheaper on the sale and $500+ cheaper than the 4 wheel. Big chunk of money if same. No bargain if not as good.
    I've used a Grizzly 3 wheel for years and no problems. It's pretty much designated to a shaper for running door frame stock and panels.
    -Lud