Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clairvoyance

clairvoyance

There is a word similar to this which means depth of wood surface appearance. Clairvoyance, of course means seeing objects beyond normal means. I can't find wood reference in dictionary. Help.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One can exhibit clairvoyance in predicting whether a wood will exhibit chatoyance😉
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Yet another thing I love about mahogany.

Lol, this one is funny. Brain fart.

Ah, thats it. I don't want to tell you how long I hunted through the C's in my trusty American College Dictionary.Thanks all. Ian

Forgot to mention, I enjoyed Jerry Wright's clever quip. Ian

Deloris!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Radin View Post
    There is a word similar to this which means depth of wood surface appearance. Clairvoyance, of course means seeing objects beyond normal means. I can't find wood reference in dictionary. Help.
    When I was doing 3D modeling and rendering (in the early days of the technology) one guy developed an algorithm to apply chatoyancy to any surface. But it's worthless without stereo vision or eye movement and difficult to photograph effectively - try looking for depth in a wood surface with one eye closed! I made this piece with the most amazing maple I was ever given. It looked so deeply 3-dimensional you couldn't believe the surface is smooth until you touch it!

penta_maple_ellis_c_IMG_5435.jpg

Oh, BTW, I use naphtha on sanded wood at the lathe to see the figure and chatoyance. For a few seconds it shows nearly what the wood will look like when oil is applied. (Helps to see defects like ripples when wet and scratches as it starts to dry.) Alcohol or water will also work but naphtha dries a lot quicker. I saw a turner use alcohol for this once then light it to burn off the liquid! If I remember correctly it was Jimmy Clewes.

JKJ

I am clairvoyant and did not even realize it. When driving many people around me turn or change lanes without using signals. Must be because they think I am clairvoyant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I am clairvoyant and did not even realize it. When driving many people around me turn or change lanes without using signals. Must be because they think I am clairvoyant.
    No. It is because you are chatoyant. You glow and shimmer, which is why they see you ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Here is some pretty neat chatoyance:
    snaktab1.jpg

If you rotate the card table 90 degrees the two light colored squares become dark and the two dark ones become light colored.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Deloris!!!
    Now that's funny stuff right there. Mulva?
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Reverb View Post
    Yet another thing I love about mahogany.
    If you only love mahogany, it's called mahogamy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If you rotate the card table 90 degrees the two light colored squares become dark and the two dark ones become light colored.
    A chess or checker board made like that would be interesting.

JKJ