Thread: Freud Dial a Width Dado

Freud Dial a Width Dado

Curious if anyone has actually used one of these dial-a-width dado setups and how well it worked. I actually had a Craftsmen adjustable dado set back in the 1970's. I don't remember it working very well but that was a long time ago. The dial-a-width seems like a good ideal in concept for accurate dados.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...iABEgIRbvD_BwE

The Freud dial width is pretty nice, actually. Nothing like the old Craftsman "wobble" dado. The Freud uses their usual stackable chippers with an adjustable shim mechanism. You'll never want to go back to individual shims once you use the dial version.

I used one for years on a Unisaw. It was the easiest dado blade to set up I've ever used, and the cuts were very good. I'd buy one again, but they won't work on a K3..... and neither will anything else at a reasonable price.

I've had one since they came out. Wonderful tool. The unexpected delight is that it can be calibrated. I took the time and found a few common settings and marked them on the outer blade when I got it: 0 (all the way retracted, .250" (no chippers), and .750" (multiple chippers installed). Each click of the dial increases or decreases the width .004"

Snap7.jpg

I just get a caliper reading of the stock I'm using then dial to one of my set points, click in or out until I'm where I want to be, and install. Usually, the fit is dead on with no fussing. If it does need tweaking, just loosen the nut and adjust it on the saw. Pretty slick!

Another thread was discussing dados and asked about minimum cut. Mine cuts down to .230"... that's it. No 3/16" possible. Also, I remember there being an issue when it first came out about saw arbor length. It won't fit on some contractor saws because they have minimal arbor length: 1 1/8" I think. My 50's era Unisaw has a 1 1/4" arbor... no issues. The cut quality is on par with their Super Dado. Hope this helps!

The dial-width dado increments by .004" per click. There was 1 time when I could not get a tight dado joint with some 1/2" BB ply. 1 click went from too tight to too loose. In hindsight, I could have used some tape as a shim and probably dialed that dado in perfectly. Otherwise I have enjoyed using the dado blade.

The dial on the outside blade does take up some arbor length. On a contractors saw that might be an issue. I can only comfortably run about 9/16" wide stack on my Ridgid TS3650. That's something I look forward to not having to deal with when I upgrade in the future.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks for the good input on this. Think I'm going to elevate this on my shop wish list. I have several Freud router bits and saw blades, never met a Freud product lacking in quality. I'm sure this dado blade is quality made as well.
    Last edited by julian abram; 02-23-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Peters View Post
    I'd buy one again, but they won't work on a K3..... and neither will anything else at a reasonable price.
    Why is that Don? Is it the three bolts that hold the dialing mechanism doesnt clear the arbor flange?

I also have the SD608. I haven't used it all that often lately, but it is my GOTO dado blade whenever I need to do dados. So easy to adjust. Mine is used on my Unisaw, so no arbor length problems.

Brian, It is possible to adjust it for 1/2 click and get about a 0.002 change. I've done it. The adjustment is linear. The clicks just give you some tactile feedback as to how much you have changed it.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Brian, It is possible to adjust it for 1/2 click and get about a 0.002 change. I've done it. The adjustment is linear. The clicks just give you some tactile feedback as to how much you have changed it.

Charley
    Hi Charley, I never tried that but I figured that if I didn't lamd on a click, then the adjustment might creep during use. Maybe not. May try next time. Thanks for the idea.

I don't believe that the Freud dial dado blade will work on a Sawstop in case that is what you own. At least that is what I was told when I was looking at dado blades a few years ago.

This blade should be ok on my saw, a Grizzly 0690.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Why is that Don? Is it the three bolts that hold the dialing mechanism doesnt clear the arbor flange?
    If I'm not mistaken, the K3 has a larger arbor and pins and more or less requires the Felder setup for cutting grooves and dados
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

These are great reviews of the 608 version for $247.47 Has anyone tried the 508, which sells for considerably less?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Hi, the Felder and Hammer machines have 2 pins for braking, not to mention a 30mm arbour....Rod