Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next CBN suggestion

Next CBN suggestion

I have a 180 grit CBN wheel and have decided to add a higher grit to the grinder. Can I jump all the way to 600 grit or will I be frustrated with refining the coarser 180 grit scratches?

Thanks,
    Richard
    RD

That is my combination and it works well.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I went from 180 to 350. I wish I had gone to 600.

I have been looking at CBN wheels and was thinking 220 and 600 would be a good setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I have a 180 grit CBN wheel and have decided to add a higher grit to the grinder. Can I jump all the way to 600 grit or will I be frustrated with refining the coarser 180 grit scratches?
    I find the 600 grit perfect for many tools incuding my skews, bowl gouges, and negative rake scrapers. I go directly from shaping with 80 grit CBN to sharpening with 600 grit. You will have no trouble removing 180 grit scratches.

Could probably go with an 800 or 1000 grit instead of the 600 and still be happy, although it would take a bit longer to sharpen larger bevels.

I also have a 1200 grit wheel on a Tormek I use to sharpen my spindle gouges. Sometimes I wish it was finer.

Remember that a 600 grit wheel will be more aggressive when new than after it is "broken in". It may act more like a coarser wheel for a bit.

JKJ

Thanks everyone.
    600 grit it is!
    RD

I purchased a 600 grit CBN wheel at the TAW symposium in January. I use it to sharpen my tools and it does an incredible job. The finish is so fine it's almost holographic and incredibly sharp. If I decide to re-grind one of my tools I will use the remaining white wheel, but that is a very event. I think you will like the 600 grit as much as I do. Don't forget to get the self aligning washers.

Randy Walker
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8
    Randy Walker aka woodchuck
    Duck River Woodturners VP
    TAW member, Symposium comity member
    Volunteer Woodturners member
    Dickson Woodturners member

Thanks Randy.

I ordered the wheel, machined flat washers and self aligning washers on Friday. Things are starting to warm up here and the trees are budding. Smells like shop weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Walker View Post
    I purchased a 600 grit CBN wheel at the TAW symposium in January. I use it to sharpen my tools and it does an incredible job. The finish is so fine it's almost holographic and incredibly sharp. If I decide to re-grind one of my tools I will use the remaining white wheel, but that is a very event. I think you will like the 600 grit as much as I do. Don't forget to get the self aligning washers.

Randy Walker
    RD

True story. I attended a one day demo with Mike Mahoney yesterday. The subject of CBN wheels came up.He said he uses a 36 grit stone wheel on one side and 46 on the other. He gave a good explanation of why which I will not attempt to repeat here. Funny how the pros can sometimes destroy everything we think we know about a subject. LOL 🤪

CBNs are still on my wish list though. 🙂

Tennessee is COLD and WET. It is likely to be a week or more before I can get back to my lathe (arrrggg). After you get your wheel and have a chance to use it a few times please let us know what you think of it.
    One of my favorite things about it is that it removes almost no material when sharpening a tool. Because of that I tend to sharpen at the first signs of my gouge loosing its edge. When I have to push the tool or see a little bit of torn wood I take the two steps to my grinder and make a quick touch-up. The tool is so sharp that its actually easy to tell when its loosing its edge.
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8

Any good deals on a 600 grit CBN wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Any good deals on a 600 grit CBN wheel?
    https://woodturnerswonders.com/

At the Show's

The best deals I've found are at the turning show's. I got mine at the TAW symposium in January. I'm sure they will be at the AAW symposium in Atlanta. Check the AAW web site to see any other symposiums locations and times.
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8

AAW in Raleigh? July 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    AAW in Raleigh? July 2019.
    Your are correct Eugene, the AAW symposium will be in Raleigh, North Carolina this year. My apologies.
    Grandpa
    Well equiped wood shop

Universal VLS230
    Sand Carving toys

Corel X8