Thread: Framing under a window?

Framing under a window?

I want to put two shelves in the corner by my toilet. The stud detector shows 7" of studs from the corner to under the window, all the way to the floorcorner.jpg. I don't know anything about construction; does that sound right?

a corner and a window coming together like that could be framed a few different ways. there is at least a 2 2x on the side of the window. I would design your shelves and when you install, pre drill your holes with a small drill bit. if its hollow use a the big plastic screw in anchors and if not, screw into the stud. I have worked on a few houses and you really never know what you will find when looking for framing.

corner, and maybe stud, jack, cripple, plus maybe one to get sheathing to hit on 16 O.C. = not surprisingly 7" or so

Blog Entries
    I agree that there is likely to be wood all the way from the corner to the inside of the window frame.

Be sure you discuss this self design with who ever cleans the bathroom as getting behind the toilet will be difficult with a shelf in the way.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Possibly:
    Corner stud
    King
    Jack
    Cripple
    That would be 6” minus 1/2” for Sheetrock

An extra cripple or blocking would give you seven inches

I never trust a stud finder
    Nail and hammer to verify stud finder readings

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I agree that there is likely to be wood all the way from the corner to the inside of the window frame.

Be sure you discuss this self design with who ever cleans the bathroom as getting behind the toilet will be difficult with a shelf in the way.
    I asked my wife if it would interfere with cleaning. She said it would and forbid me from putting in shelves. Not sure whether to thank you or not; as she was agreeable before I mentioned it.

Blog Entries
    A Zircon stud finder will locate studs behind sheet rock. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot.
    That takes all of the guesswork out of it.