Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0849 3hp Cyclone Dust Collector - Anyone know about them?

Grizzly G0849 3hp Cyclone Dust Collector - Anyone know about them?

This one: https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ollector/G0849

I'm upgrading my dust collection and this one seems to fit my needs. Unfortunately I can not find anything (independent of Grizzly) about them online. I'm hoping someone here has seen one or has an opinion on them.

I was informed by Grizzly that they would not have any more coming in til the end of April. I asked if they had more coming in than they had orders for but have not received a response.

Hey Roger,

Why are you looking at that model over the GO441?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ollector/G0441

$1900 puts you in the running for a number of well rated Cyclones.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Hey Roger,

Why are you looking at that model over the GO441?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ollector/G0441

$1900 puts you in the running for a number of well rated Cyclones.
    I originally looked at the G0441 but the G0849 is essentially the same price with the stand. It is also newer and hopefully improved. The biggest benefit for now is the G0849 being on casters and it fits the ceiling height available (and is still a long cone cyclone). Until I get my shop built I won't be able to permanently locate my dust collection.

You are right that the price puts it in the CV, Oneida, etc. cyclones. I'm hoping that the G0849 has similar performance. I considered just staying with my Jet single stage on one tool at a time but I have a 50" Woodmaster drum sander and it is almost unusable with the current dust collector.

Blog Entries
    Check the reviews of long and short cone cyclones. Except for those who require a short height, I would not compromise the separation. Better separation means less filter maintenance.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you compare the performance curve for the two units, you will find that the G0441 maintains the flow rate much better than the G0849 as you increase the static pressure (air restriction) on the machine. The new machine was designed for convenience rather than maximum performance. It might still be worth it to you but I would buy the G0441.

I thought the G0849 was a long cone. I definitely do not want to go with a short cone cyclone. Will have to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If you compare the performance curve for the two units, you will find that the G0441 maintains the flow rate much better than the G0849 as you increase the static pressure (air restriction) on the machine. The new machine was designed for convenience rather than maximum performance. It might still be worth it to you but I would buy the G0441.
    That is a good point. I haven't found the curve on the G0849 so I'll call Grizzly Monday. The specs seem to be similar so I guessed the curves would be similar. I should find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bull View Post
    I originally looked at the G0441 but the G0849 is essentially the same price with the stand. It is also newer and hopefully improved. The biggest benefit for now is the G0849 being on casters and it fits the ceiling height available (and is still a long cone cyclone). Until I get my shop built I won't be able to permanently locate my dust collection.
    Compared to the 441, the impeller and filter are smaller. I made a stand for my 441 out of 2x4s for $50; could have put casters on it had I wanted to. I had a motorized filter cleaner on a JDS cyclone and hated it; very noisy, probably abusive to the filter, and it didn't help all that much.
    The collection bin looks​ like it might be easier to empty, but they don't give details on that.

I looked though most of these DC’s before I bought my Clearvue (which is still in boxes). Besides performance, there seemed to be complaints about the Laguna and Grizzly Cyclones, and plenty of user feedback on CV to sway me that way. Excellent Customer Service to boot.

What ceiling height do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I looked though most of these DC’s before I bought my Clearvue (which is still in boxes). Besides performance, there seemed to be complaints about the Laguna and Grizzly Cyclones, and plenty of user feedback on CV to sway me that way. Excellent Customer Service to boot.

What ceiling height do you have?
    Are you referring to complaints about the short cone cyclones allowing too much dust to reach the filter? Short cone cyclones are not on my short list of possibilities.

The areas available have ceiling heights of 94-1/2" and 95-1/2". Almost enough room for a CV1800 but that may be a bit more than I need since I'm only using 1 machine at a time. Still for only a couple hundred dollars difference I might be able to "modify" the drywall ceiling to allow clearance...

I have the 0441 and it works great! I would definitely go that route unless ceiling height is an issue.

Big mistake!

I had the model G0849 and the model G0862 confused. Both are advertised as 3 horsepower but the G0862 is the one with the weak performance curve. I tried to find the performance curve for the G0849 and discovered my error. I couldn't find it. The curve for the G0862 is imbedded deep in the owner's manual and is hard to find. My apologies to Roger and Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bull View Post
    That is a good point. I haven't found the curve on the G0849 so I'll call Grizzly Monday. The specs seem to be similar so I guessed the curves would be similar. I should find out for sure.

I have the 0440 2hp pre hepa and it has worked well for hobby shop with 20" planer, 12"jointer and 25" drum sander, etc. and it has performed very well. I built an attached shed and can fit a 55 gal. drum on wheels beneath for easy disposal. Shop is 1500 sqft with overhead ducting~~10' ceiling ht. 2hp has been good for me so the 3hp should be even more effective for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Big mistake!

I had the model G0849 and the model G0862 confused. Both are advertised as 3 horsepower but the G0862 is the one with the weak performance curve. I tried to find the performance curve for the G0849 and discovered my error. I couldn't find it. The curve for the G0862 is imbedded deep in the owner's manual and is hard to find. My apologies to Roger and Grizzly.
    Thanks for clearing that up Art. I was really confused as to why such a difference since the specs and design of the G0849 and G0441 seem pretty similar.

I am wondering if the G0849 is going to be their replacement for the G0441. At present, they have several 3 horsepower cyclone dust collectors for sale.