Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vent Cyclone Outside

Vent Cyclone Outside

To go along with that huge thread from 2014, what is the quality of the air that comes out of a cyclone such as the Clear Vie? I considered saving some money on filters since I have the ability to vent outside, but am I eventually cover everything under it in a blanket of dust?

A long-cone cyclone like the Clear-Vue or Oneida has "pretty darn good" separation and the level of fines that come out the back side are extremely minimal. The only time you'll like notice much stuff "out there" is if you either forget to empty the bin or there is a leak at the bin and you get blow-by. Will there be some fine stuff ejected? Yes. But it's minimal with this kind of cyclone design.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I vent outside since I live in the country and my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. As Jim stated, the only time I get anything coming outside other than extremely fine dust is when I forget to empty my barrel. One thing to consider is if you are milling a lot of walnut, it will kill the grass where the dust exits outside. Not a big deal for me, but just a heads up.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Paul View Post
    To go along with that huge thread from 2014, what is the quality of the air that comes out of a cyclone such as the Clear Vie? I considered saving some money on filters since I have the ability to vent outside, but am I eventually cover everything under it in a blanket of dust?
    I use filters and monitor the air with a particulate counter. The ClearVue is extremely efficient. Almost nothing even gets to the filters, and the filters themselves are very good.

But I don't understand, if you will vent outside why be concerned about the filters? Everything you pick up will either be in the bin or outside. (maybe you're just thinking of the options now.)

JKJ

If you're venting outside, a cyclone is likely overkill - build a cheap trash can separator for the bigger chips, and let the fines get carried into the wind.

I am just trying to figure out options. It would vent out of my basement above a patio area if I do that. So I don’t want to cover the patio with dust. Venting outside would mean that I don’t have to worry about filters which is why I am considering it.

You could put a container under the outdoor vent to catch the little bit of stuff that slips by...just make sure it isn't going to fill up with water and make the local mosquito population really happy with you. The bottom line is there will be "some" fine dust that heads outdoors. Not a lot but some.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Judging by whats in my cyclone filter after 8-12 months, i dont think you will see a thing. One, a proper cyclone separates everything but wood flour. Imagine taking a handful of flour outside and then throwing it in the air. How much do you think would settle down on your patio in any discernible density? Now, imagine throwing that same flour at 4,000 fpm. Once you factor in how much flour is actually being exhausted along with environmental factors like wind etc. i would be stunned if you ever noticed you vented outside. The next precipitation event would erase all memory of cyclone exhaust.

I run my cyclone probably somewhere around 200 hours a year. I guesstimate that i clean out about a five gallon bucket of wood flour from my filter stack at the end of the year. To break that down per hour of exhaust is at such an imperceptible level. Its a pinch of dust per hour.

I agree with Patrick. With my 5hp Clearvue there is almost nothing getting to the filters and almost nothing would get to the patio without any filters. I don't use mine nearly as much, but in four years I don't have more than a few tablespoons in my clean out box below the filters. When I bang on the filters nothing additional falls. What ends up in the bin, even with running the drum sander, is as fine as talcum powder.

If concerned about spraying dust to the outside living area, perhaps mount a fitting outside to direct the exhaust to the side if that might help in your layout. Or how about including the filter, enclosing it in a box, then vent the enclosure outside rather than return the air to the shop? This would give you the future option of reconfiguring to vent to the shop if needed.

It is fascinating to watch the swirl of the dust when the thing is running, something those with metal cyclone cones can't do. I can throw a dump of sawdust into port and the spiral forms instantly and VERY slowly dissipates as the heavier stuff moves downward. I've never watched it for more than 5 minutes but I suspect it might still be separating that handful for a long time. If you might like to watch it, just don't do what I did. I used kitty litter to soak up a spill and then vacuumed it up with the cyclone. The "rock" in the kitty litter scoured and frosted the inside of the crystal clear plastic cone! I can still see inside OK but it wouldn't make a good video.

Patrick, I can't remember if I asked before but about where are you in western PA? I grew up south of Pittsburgh, living on the banks of the Monongahela river upstream from Elizabeth on RT51. This was in the '50s and '60s.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Judging by whats in my cyclone filter after 8-12 months, i dont think you will see a thing. One, a proper cyclone separates everything but wood flour. Imagine taking a handful of flour outside and then throwing it in the air. How much do you think would settle down on your patio in any discernible density? Now, imagine throwing that same flour at 4,000 fpm. Once you factor in how much flour is actually being exhausted along with environmental factors like wind etc. i would be stunned if you ever noticed you vented outside. The next precipitation event would erase all memory of cyclone exhaust.

I run my cyclone probably somewhere around 200 hours a year. I guesstimate that i clean out about a five gallon bucket of wood flour from my filter stack at the end of the year. To break that down per hour of exhaust is at such an imperceptible level. Its a pinch of dust per hour.

I switched my Clear-Vue to venting outside last year. I haven’t noticed any dust coming out the vent. It is blowing into the woods behind the shop.I wish I knew that when I installed the system. I had the filters and cyclone in a closet with a return in to the shop. I haven’t noticed much heat loss either.
    Charlie Jones

My clearvue vents outside. Every now and then when planing a lot I push things to where the bin fills and blows shavings all over the outside. But I have trees all over and the ground is already covered with leaves so it blends right in.

Otherwise no noticeable dust.

I think if I tried shifting to filters I would ruin a couple before learning my lesson... (would want a level indicator and would pay a LOT closer attention if it meant I was going to clog and wipe out an expensive filter).

I do notice in the winter if I run for a while it pulls cool air into the shop. The good thing is that air is relatively low thermal mass compared to all the equipment, so once I shut it off it comes right back to temp quickly.

I have seen shops that do what Dan says and just suck it all out. One I saw had a box built to vent into so it just filled the box up with sawdust.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 02-21-2019 at 6:36 PM.

Hey John, Have you been to or now of Monroeville,Pa? It is near Pittsburgh and my mom was born there.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Hey John, Have you been to or now of Monroeville,Pa? It is near Pittsburgh and my mom was born there.
    Yes, right up the road from McKeesport where we would shop on occasion. I've been through but never stopped there.

Small world John. Nice to know someone from her childhood area. They were country kind of people. Loved animals like yourself. English Irish heritage.

Hi Doug

I vent my Clearvue outside. The vent is right under a deck which is above it. There is no detectable dust exiting the vent. I was concerned about the same thing when I installed it, but I can assure you it is not an issue. Im up the road from you outside Helen