Thread: Creative Clamping

Creative Clamping

The other night a friend asked me to make adjustments to some inlay work I had done for him. No problem. Of course, the previous work had already been incorporated into the final product which was just under 3" thick. That called for some creative clamping after establishing the exact and correct center point so that the adjustments would fall exactly on the previous work. Very scary...LOL

IMG_3774.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Now you're just teasing us, Jim. We don't get to see the inlay before and after???

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Now you're just teasing us, Jim. We don't get to see the inlay before and after???

David
    It's up to the artist to post/comment on that, but I'll ask him since it is another 'Creeker. The issue we had was that the original inlay for the component in question was done using the V-Carve method for female/male and for some reason, this particular shape didn't work well, both for depth of the male and for too much end-grain to end-grain for gluing since the inlay didn't get deep enough. (a mystery) Combine that with a difficult end-customer...we decided to make a change by replaced it by re-cutting the pocket with straight sides and a .0625" bit for the final pass and then worked to sneak up on the size for the male inlay by changing offsets by 10 thou for each attempt. There's a tiny radius at the two corners of the shape, but it's pretty inconsequential. It sure was scary to remount the piece (6 boxes, 2 sides each) and cut into them, but all worked out extremely well and he can meet the delivery date on Saturday with the quality that is expected.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-21-2019 at 12:43 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...