Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basement Shop Floors

Whatever you do, I recommend first putting down some chemicals to "waterproof" the concrete. Some products are better than others (I like the type that crystalizes, and can thus fill in new cracks if they appear over time) but they all do one thing really well: They cut done on humidity coming through the floor.

Shops have lots of expensive stuff that likes to rust.

As for the surface, IMO a good quality 2-part epoxy paint is all you need. It's much nicer than bare concrete.
    - But I mean a GOOD paint. High solids and oil-based. Not that stuff they sell at Home Depot for garages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    Just walk on the concrete with the occasional anti fatigue mat. Thinking of switching to horse stall mats. Interlocking fatigue mats just slide around too much.
    I'm happy with my concrete floor because I can roll carts and machines easily on it, as long as I don't run into a renegade wood chip. I don't use anti-fatigue mats as they interfere with cart movement .. I use good cushioned shoes.

Blog Entries
    Ground, polished and sealed would be ideal. Easy to sweep. Expensive. Anti-fatigue mats in key areas if that is an issue for you. My concrete floor was already beat up so I went over it (as well as the rest of the basement) with Pergo laminate. Sweeps very well and several tools that weren't already castored just have felt pads on the legs and they just glide around. Haven't noticed any slip issues with loose sawdust. I think it looks pretty good too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

One of the benefits of putting an epoxy or paint type finish on concrete is that it is easier to clean. Raw concrete both produces and hangs on to dirt/dust. I used a product called Rustbullet on my shop floor and it has held up well. It was both less expensive and easier to put down than epoxy. Not as good as epoxy either, but I'm happy with it. The other reason to put some type surface of a lighter color is lighting. I had a basement shop and it was kind of a cave. Lighting and shadows were an issue. A lighter colored floor will make a basement shop a brighter place.

Rolling machines and stills and carts are a priority for me. Anti fatigue mats placed strategically work for me and I can move them. I wouldn’t do interlocking tiles or horse stall mats or gym floor everywhere, unless you have your full shop layout perfected and don’t need to roll much weight around.