Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Chisel sharpening - difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Is that supposed to mean something to me? I don't know who that is.
    George is not widely known, but is a superb professional craftsman, who was with Colonial Williamsburg, making many musical instruments, along with furniture & cabinetry. He used to post here on SMC, and I cannot answer why he doesn't anymore.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    George is not widely known, but is a superb professional craftsman, who was with Colonial Williamsburg, making many musical instruments, along with furniture & cabinetry. He used to post here on SMC, and I cannot answer why he doesn't anymore.
    Now imagine how known he is in Europe. Posting a name of someone like him is pointless to someone like me. It's the same as saying: "A random wood worker in a random town somewhere in the US like Pfeil chisels." It really doesn't mean anything to me.

Now imagine how known he is in Europe. Posting a name of someone like him is pointless to someone like me. It's the same as saying: "A random wood worker in a random town somewhere in the US like Pfeil chisels." It really doesn't mean anything to me.
    Well, now, since your location isn't given and since you're posting on a site hosted in the US, silly of me to think you would have some familiarity with George Wilson. Take a gander at this:https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....light=brinkley and this: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ghlight=guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    George Wilson likes Pfeil chisels, too.
    Is that supposed to mean something to me? I don't know who that is.
    I believe he used to play for the Detroit Lions if that helps any. But then I know American football is not as popular in Europe so I can't fault you for not knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I believe he used to play for the Detroit Lions if that helps any. But then I know American football is not as popular in Europe so I can't fault you for not knowing that.
    I’m fairly sure the George Wilson who posted here didn’t play for the Lions.

Here is Mr Wilson who played footballA9D4FE6D-ED12-4250-B1DB-979D29B4056F.png

Here is George Wilson from his Colonial Williamsburg days: 7E299CCD-C793-4523-BE14-3EE9C0399E18.jpeg
    He’s the one on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Chris,

Monthly? That is some good iron.

ken
    No, it is indicative of a hobbyist who only works at his hobby sporadically. I am in the worshop doing stuff every day but serious woodwork is not done evey day and chisels are not used even weekly.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I thought George Wilson was the neighbor in the Dennis the Menace TV show.

If you go to youtube and search “Harpsichord and violin building in the 18th century” you will find a four part documentary that covers George making instruments at colonial Williamsburg.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    George posted just last month. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....rnmakers-Lathe
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

... It's the same as saying: "A random wood worker in a random town somewhere in the US like Pfeil chisels." ...
    I like Pfeil chisels

So..how does this all help the OP in sharpening HIS chisels? Hmmmm

I'd join in, but 1) too busy using my chisels right now..2) forgot to buy the popcorn, salt, and butter...3) almost laughing too hard to type...

Just another Sharpening Thread.....S. O. S. O....

Not Derek, and I don't have a dog in this fight, but he has stated he grinds with a water-cooled Tormek with a 10" wheel. That wheel is going to produce a hollow that is just barely hollow at all.

George Wilson likes Pfeil chisels, too.
    I’m fairly sure the George Wilson who posted here didn’t play for the Lions.

Here is Mr Wilson who played footballA9D4FE6D-ED12-4250-B1DB-979D29B4056F.png

Here is George Wilson from his Colonial Williamsburg days: 7E299CCD-C793-4523-BE14-3EE9C0399E18.jpeg
    He’s the one on the right.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    I must say, that George Wilson is one good looking cat with a winning smile. I'd seriously consider any chisels he endorses.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

Just another Sharpening Thread.....S. O. S. O....
    Indeed.

Telling me James Krenov loved the xxx brand dovetail saw or Sam Maloof used only the yyy brand rasps in his work wouldn't change my mind about those brands if I had used them and formed my opinions on them. I trust my own hands-on experience....

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Indeed.

Telling me James Krenov loved the xxx brand dovetail saw or Sam Maloof used only the yyy brand rasps in his work wouldn't change my mind about those brands if I had used them and formed my opinions on them. I trust my own hands-on experience....

Simon
    This seems to be the back bone of every discussion that follows a sharpening question.

Folks not only tend to stay with what works best for their individual use, many become evangelists for their favorites.

Amazing how sharpening discussions always seems to get in to the range of four pages of posts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Walter View Post
    I'm a novice and am looking for insight into what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using the Veritas Mk II sharpening jig. After flattening the back, I'm setting a 25 degree bevel first on the 300 and then 1000 stone. When I go to do the micro-bevel it's clear that something is not straight based on the results. I've gone through the process several times with consistent results.

I've double checked that the chisel is sits square to the fence (both before & after), and am tightening the clamp knobs evenly. I'm applying even pressure to both sides of the chisel.

What am I doing wrong?
    I have the same jig. And have had the same problem. IMHO, it's a poor design. Getting the angle right and the blade square is a pain. One of these days I'm going to buy the LN jig.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain