Thread: I think I need to kill a client....

I think I need to kill a client....

I'm about to build an armoire. We decided on cherry and wanted it finished in a grayish color. Now she decided there is too much gray in her house and wants it to be a cream color. I dont think I can stain cherry cream and have it look good. My only other option is painting it cream. However, there's no way in hell I'm about to paint beautiful cherry wood. I'd rather just use pine or poplar. But I already have all the wood.

And ideas here? She may go for the original color with pickling or liming, maybe a white (cream) wash. But I can't find a picture of cherry with any of these effects. And I really dont want to spend a fortune on different products just to test.

Arrgh!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-20-2019 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Removed implied profanity

Your story is why I always get a deposit up front that covers at least the cost of all the raw materials. In my world, she would now own that cherry if I couldn't return it. But focusing on your dilemma, I don't see how you are going to turn cherry into a cream color unless 1) you bleached it first, or 2) you paint it. No way I'd do either. I'd exchange the cherry for maple or poplar. If you can't exchange it I'd still go buy maple or poplar and set the cherry aside for another project.

Take a look at this link. Part way down the page he shows what pickled oak stain looks like on various woods, including maple and cherry. http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...nishes-stains/

John

I agree with John. Cherry is not a good choice for what your customer wants. And honestly, that includes the original "gray" choice, too. And no-way would I use the cherry just because it's already in-hand. Exchange it or put it in your rack and buy something else more appropriate that can actually be colored the way that's desired. Chalk it up to a poignant lesson...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rule 1: The customer is always right.
    Rule 2: When the customer is wrong, refer to Rule 1.

It sounds trite, but when matched with clear contractual expectations, it works. As far as the job goes, use a different timber and start planning a new piece using the cherry, build it and sell it. Make twice the money.

Rule 3: Everything you put on the internet will come back to haunt you.

Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

It seems most of the “creamy woods” would be a bit cheaper than cherry. Buy new stock, charge the same fee and chalk up the wasted time and aggrevation to the cost of doing business. Some of my most difficult clients are the ones who have referred me the most.

If she is paying then what’s the problem? Give her the options and then let her pick.

What I would not do is buy more wood like poplar and then keep the cherry for your own inventory.

I totally agree it is a sin to paint cherry, but I am often not in agreement with the aesthetic choices of my clients - wood and otherwise.

Can u convince her that red or brown tones would be as good a complement to grey as cream would be?